Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1st time in ocean

I was planning on heading out to do some riding out in the ocean for the first time next weekend and do some jumping. Anything I need to know before I go. Its a gp1200r and I have only ridden on a river with at most 1 foot chop. I race motocross so Im really looking forward to this but wanna be prepared.

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    I only ride in the ocean, never been on a lake, but if there are waves you will have a blast. My XLT flys and lands real smooth . Just take it easy in the surf until you get a feel for it. Breaking waves can wreck your ski if you fall off in the surf zone.

+1
    If your planning on going any distance offshore, take a VHF radio & flares!!

+1
    make sure you flush out your ski with fresh water after riding in the ocean. also standing up and using ur legs as shocks will help out a lot.

+1

Thumbs up

Prepare to get wet hehe

Ocean is alot of fun. I bought some cheap sunglasses cause I lost my oakleys... but yeah you need sunglasses.. the salt can be pretty hard on your eyes. Also towel or something to clean them off.. salt will start to dry and then you cannot see anything...

If your wave jumping take everything out of your compartments.. to will get beat to hell otherwise.

I hose out inside hull - being sure to get carbs etc. Then I flush it on the hose... gives engine a chance to dry off some.

Where are you going?

not quite sure yet. somewhere around ocean city nj

+1
    Just take it easy in the surf until you get a feel for it. Breaking waves can wreck your ski if you fall off in the surf zone.
    +1

Also, I've always been told to make sure and land jumps stern first at a pretty steep angle. Landing flat could possibly damage the hull. My GPR has a tendency to submarine in choppy surf so I usually keep the bow trimmed up if it is too rough to maintain a cruising speed.

will I be ok without a wetsuit right now? I dont have any gloves or shoes either. Water where I was riding was around 58 but I havent fell off yet or gotten completely soaked yet so i havent really needed one.

+1
    stay on the gas!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteyz View Post
    will I be ok without a wetsuit right now? I dont have any gloves or shoes either. Water where I was riding was around 58 but I havent fell off yet or gotten completely soaked yet so i havent really needed one.

I was wearing a full 3/2 wetsuit when I rode in NH in those temps. Your gonna get wet. I was soaked this weekend just cruising in the icw down here in NC.

You have to be careful jumping off the rollers... sometimes the waters not too deep on the backside. Not sure what your riding, but if you start getting some good air and you do land ass first - she will be going down... make sure you dont hit bottom. I know guys that have broken nozzles, etc.

Its fun.. make sure your health insurance is paid up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information