Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bizarre prop incident

I found this extremely odd.... I was cruising at about 45 when i suddenly felt a vibration. Slowed down and gave it some gas... about 2800 it starts to vibrate. So, shut down, rocked the heck out of the ski to try to dislodge whatever was in there and it did nothing. Then I went to shore, reached under, nothing there... After idling about 1.5 miles to the launch, i took the ski out of the water and crawled underneith. I saw a peace of wood stuck on the impeller blade. So i brought it home, and got the best tool i had to rip it off (used a wire hanger custom bent for the appliation!). I took it back to the river and tried it out and it was all good.

It just blows my mind that this peace of wood (2" long and ~.5" round) was cut in the middle and had what i am guessing even forces to keep it pressed against the blade while spinning. Just thought i'd share my experience...

I know I don't post much, but i check this site at least once every 2 days! I have learned so much from you all.. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0086_994.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	4349  

I had almost the same exact thing. It was a piece of bark that the prop had cut into. I had to remove the pump and knock it off with some heavy pliers.

same thing here. I had to pull the pump to get it out.

Man... I never would have guessed this was more common than I thought. Guess you learn somthing everyday!

same here, a twig 3/16" in diameter 1" long stuck to the leading edge. 2-3 mph is all I could go without extreme vibration.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i think WE ALL been there done that sucks dont it!! especially when ya take a chick out on it for her first time and make it 15 miles from the ramp and then get wood chip stuck in it and gotta idle 10 miles back home at 4-5 mph ain't a damn thing i've found u can do that for that while on the water unless u have the nuts to flip it over in the water (which i never recommend, lol) or turn it on it's side on a nearby beach or something which also is near impossible by urself) and have a 10mm and 13mm socket with u to remove the intake grate and get it out of there with a long screwdriver

about the only trick i got that works 99.999% of the time is... turn off the machine, and then restart it... the very same split second that motor turns over and starts nail that throttle wide open and don't let go for a couple seconds then press the stop button again real quick and wait a minute... then start it up again and nail the throttle a second time the second she kicks over.... if by this time ur still vibrating, suck it up, u got a boring journey home, lol.

I'm thinking a stiff bristled brush with a handle long enough to reach the impeller up the intake might clear something like that. If you are in shallow water you can reach the intake from beside the ski. If I ever find a brush that I think will work I'm gonna buy it. I was over 20 miles from the house, called my brother, he drove 15 miles to get my truck and trailer and another 17-18 to meet me at a ramp 3 miles from where I was. I only had to wait on him about 15 minutes....

+1
    Old bottle rockets do the same thing,THE FOURTH IS COMING

There's also the old backwash trick: gun it in reverse and quickly kill the engine while engaging forward drive.

But I'm thinking even that wouldn't get an impaled piece of wood off your impeller.

With the soft delrin, the stick is able to stay in there and groove out a spot for itself.

I wonder if the SS wear ring would have sliced that thing in half and spit that thing out. I bet it would have.

that wood is soft enough for no or very little damage to the impeller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information