Thread: SHO hull

+1

SHO hull

I'm glad to see all you guys are finally getting your skis.
    I have been thinking about getting an SHO as a 2nd ski. That 1800 cc motor looks like it could become a monster with a few more tweaks.
    My question concerns the hull. All us 250X guys found out last year that rough water capability comes at a price........ top speed. I love my 250X but it's never going to be a top speed ski no matter what you throw at it because of the hull design. A lot of you SHO owners have posted that it runs very well in the chop. Do you think it's ability in the chop will hold back it's top speed? I have looked at the SHO hull several times and it looks to be somewhere in between the 250X and the Seadoo. I guess everyone will find out later on this summer when the ECU and more mods come out for the SHO.

+1
    The 1800 CC's was a huge selling point for me. I know i can build big power with that

Not sure at what speed the hull will limit speeds but i intend to find out

Well "DP." down here in Grand Cayman had a fx hull doing 76+ with a 1200 motor with triples

I honestly believe the hull is the best Yamaha has ever created. I am amazed at how it handles large chop. It has firm footing on large boat wakes even at bad angled approach. Just outstanding how well it handled the large boat wakes at HIGH speed never a scary moment

Quote Originally Posted by craig41071 View Post
    I honestly believe the hull is the best Yamaha has ever created. I am amazed at how it handles large chop. It has firm footing on large boat wakes even at bad angled approach. Just outstanding how well it handled the large boat wakes at HIGH speed never a scary moment
    +1 I love that hull in chop but the gpr in smooth conditions..

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yami_rida View Post
    +1 I love that hull in chop but the gpr in smooth conditions..
    dry ride...amazing handling.....hook turns at 60 mph.....this ski will take it....frickin amazing......and awesome in the rough...oh.....and it has a trim system........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    I'm glad to see all you guys are finally getting your skis.
    I have been thinking about getting an SHO as a 2nd ski. That 1800 cc motor looks like it could become a monster with a few more tweaks.
    My question concerns the hull. All us 250X guys found out last year that rough water capability comes at a price........ top speed. I love my 250X but it's never going to be a top speed ski no matter what you throw at it because of the hull design. A lot of you SHO owners have posted that it runs very well in the chop. Do you think it's ability in the chop will hold back it's top speed? I have looked at the SHO hull several times and it looks to be somewhere in between the 250X and the Seadoo. I guess everyone will find out later on this summer when the ECU and more mods come out for the SHO.
    Beagleman,
    I rode that Ultra hull last year & just switched to the SHO last week. A good comparison would be the ULtra hull seems to ride in the water while the SHO hull rides more on top of the water. No doubt the Ultra hull is still king of rough water but so far I have not experienced the annoying tendency that my Ultra had to have water ride up the bow & nearly drown you in certain conditions. If you like the Ultra I think you will be very impressed with the SHO as a companion ski.

Jim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack View Post
    Beagleman,
    I rode that Ultra hull last year & just switched to the SHO last week. A good comparison would be the ULtra hull seems to ride in the water while the SHO hull rides more on top of the water. No doubt the Ultra hull is still king of rough water but so far I have not experienced the annoying tendency that my Ultra had to have water ride up the bow & nearly drown you in certain conditions. If you like the Ultra I think you will be very impressed with the SHO as a companion ski.

Jim
    Jim,
    Thanks for the comparison. My biggest question about the SHO is will the hull limit top speed? Most of you guys have said that the SHO does very well in the chop. If it does as well in the rough as the 250X I'd venture to say that like the 250X, it's dragging a lot of wetted surface through the water. That's the tradeoff with the 250X. Great rough water capability but that big deep V hull limits top speed. I may be asking a question that can't be answerd just yet.
    Jimmy

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Jim,
    Thanks for the comparison. My biggest question about the SHO is will the hull limit top speed? Most of you guys have said that the SHO does very well in the chop. If it does as well in the rough as the 250X I'd venture to say that like the 250X, it's dragging a lot of wetted surface through the water. That's the tradeoff with the 250X. Great rough water capability but that big deep V hull limits top speed. I may be asking a question that can't be answerd just yet.
    Jimmy
    It all depends what u set ur trim at.....huge drawback of the Ultra is a lack of a trim system to lift the bow out of the water when conditions permit....offshore Ultra guys r using pump wedges to lift bows out of the water .....but i find trimming the bow too high in rough water causes a porpoise/oscillation condition........found keeping the bow trimmed down/neutral in rough water kept the pump hooked up better and the ski faster.The new Yammi hull is amazing...ull see....... And having a trim system to deal with the variable conditions encountered on the water is a necessity in my book....not as nice as the VTS system....but a throttle blip and twist of the wrist away...........
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 05-27-2008 at 07:31 PM.

+1
    Jim,
    Jimmy
    The SHO is not as good as the Kawi in the rough, it does not plow through the water as much as it is riding on top wof the water, remember it is achieving the same speed with about 42 less ponies under the hood so the hull must be more efficient I would think...

Jim

Thread Information