Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Water logged Tiny Tach

I guess I did a crappy job of sealing the seam of my TT because after riding all day yesterday I noticed it had gotten wet inside. I was also getting some inaccurate readings...7800+. Is it possible to crack it open to dry it out?

no, I had a junk one and tried to open it up with no luck. It very hard to get it apart without messing it up. The best way would be with a dremel but then it is injected inside and that holds it together too. Good luck. You wouldn't be able to use it again on your ski imo.

Don't blame yourself! they are made like crap by a loser company!

+1
    no, I had a junk one and tried to open it up with no luck. It very hard to get it apart without messing it up. The best way would be with a dremel but then it is injected inside and that holds it together too. Good luck. You wouldn't be able to use it again on your ski imo.
    I had a feeling I would get that answer. I just ordered the Pet 2100 from the online store. I should've known better. Everytime I try to save some bucks buying cheap equipment it always cost more in the end. I always doubted the accuracy of the TT. While watching my GPS reading a constant speed on flat water the TT would jump around a 20-50 rpm range. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Don't blame yourself! they are made like crap by a loser company!
    I wouldn't go that far. I think the commercial one does the job. If you are on that border line and need to know your exact rpm then the pet 2100 is what you need. But if you just wanna know where you stand on rpms the TT commercial is ok. But don't get me wrong there is no comparison between the TT and the pet2100. Its like night and day. The company is good and I know a lot of people use them on engines for construction, etc and love them. They just don't perform well in our application. The thing is that they are not water proof (niether is the pet). So when water gets in you cannot blame anyone but yourself. Just try to seal them as best as possible and just pray you don't roll it for a long period of time!

+1
    After dropping over 2 bills for the Pet, I'll definately be a bit more thorough sealing it. I also like that it is not hard wired so when I'm not tuning it can stay at home.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Everytime I try to save some bucks buying cheap equipment it always cost more in the end.
    You learned a very valuable lesson early on. A good tach is crucial to proper tuning, and in my opinion, a TT is not a good tach for a high performance ski.

+1
    So, what's methods are used to seal a PET? C.A.? (aka superglue)

Quote Originally Posted by GPryan View Post
    So, what's methods are used to seal a PET? C.A.? (aka superglue)
    Silicone, all around the joints and seems and also where the wire comes into the box.

I still say the tiny is crap! who builds something that when it needs reset you have to peel the face plate off and dig the waterproofing out and push a paper clip into it? Why Tiny tach thats who! mines in the garbage and it was the commercial unit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information