Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MFD keeps blowing fuses

I just dusted off my 95 SLT 750 for the season. The battery is dead, so I jump started it with a car battery to be sure everything is running properly. The MFD was not working and I found the blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. will jump starting these blow the fuse, or is it likely to be a bad MFD? I noticed last year it had some dimming on the display.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brianstrange View Post
    I just dusted off my 95 SLT 750 for the season. The battery is dead, so I jump started it with a car battery to be sure everything is running properly. The MFD was not working and I found the blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. will jump starting these blow the fuse, or is it likely to be a bad MFD? I noticed last year it had some dimming on the display.

yes jumping them can blow the fuse .

thanks for your swift reply. So once I get a new battery, and replace the fuse again, The MFD should work ? Do bad MFD's blow fuses as well?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brianstrange View Post
    thanks for your swift reply. So once I get a new battery, and replace the fuse again, The MFD should work ? Do bad MFD's blow fuses as well?
    i've really never had one blow a fuse on it's own it's usaully when you jump them or when you turn the battery charger up to high you should be alright with the new batt.

I'm hoping that this will pan out in my favor....... I'll know next week

Does my '96 SLX780 have this fuse? If so, where is it? The digital display quit working today, and I just happened across this thread. I sure hope it's a fuse, I really don't want to spend $353.50 three days after getting the ski back!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Does my '96 SLX780 have this fuse? If so, where is it? The digital display quit working today, and I just happened across this thread. I sure hope it's a fuse, I really don't want to spend $353.50 three days after getting the ski back!

yes it does you have to open up the electrical box to get at it.

Ok, cool...any tips or "not-to-dos" when opening the box? And I assume it's the box on top of the battery?

+1
    Ok, cool...any tips or "not-to-dos" when opening the box? And I assume it's the box on top of the battery?
    there should be no suprises when you go to open up the box unless water got into it . and yes it's the black box above the battery also it shoild be the bigger of the two fuses in the box.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ok, cool...any tips or "not-to-dos" when opening the box?
    And I assume it's the box on top of the battery?
    The electrical box is the one with all the wires going into it, strapped to the battery.

Disconnect the battery negative first, just to be sure you don't experience any inadvertent short circuits.

If you are sure you can work around and inside the electrical box with the battery still connected (which some here do all the time), then maybe you can leave it connected.

Once you have changed the 1/4 AMP fuse (do not use a larger fuse), and have checked that the electrical box inside is dry and clean, with no corrosion, and checked the seal around the rim, then close it up.

Reconnect the battery negative with a single, solid connection motion, and hold it there while you tighten the bolt. What you don't want to do is jiggle the contact tot he battery, which can cause the MFD to be unhappy.

The MFD should wake up, and be happy.

If the MFD still seems a little 'quirky', you can reset the MFD using the front panel buttons. Search for MFD reset on here.

If you have not done so already, download the 1992-1998 Service manual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information