Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

increase in rpms

I did an oil change last night on my 04 RXP. First time but simple enough. Prior to the oil change my RPM's were roughly 1950-2050, as noticed on the trailer. They were roughly the same in the water. I used a level on the bumper trim to ensure the ski was level, let it warm up for a few minutes (on a hose) and then found it to be right around the second elbow (higher one) on the dipstick. drained the oil, replaced the filter and added new oil. I let it run, and then settle for a few minutes and measured the oil to be jsut above the first elbow. Now when I run the ski the rpms are up near 2300-2400. Why the change? Was it too high before? Or too low now?

It should idle at around 1750-1900 range. You are higher for some reason and I cannot explain why.

There is a throttle stop with a screw on it that you might want to fiddle around with and see if the idle comes down a bit. I have never messed around with it, but you could try it and see if the RPM's come down a bit

I'll play around with it again tonight. Maybe I just did not let it run long enough to settle or warm up. I thought about the throttle cable but did not really want to touch it, as the idle rpms were normal prior to the oil change. Unless it is just some freak coincidence but I doubt it. Just thought I'd ask and see if was something others have seen.

oil should be half way between the 2 bends. sometimes when i start mine on the trailor it will vary from 2000-2200. it takes a second to idle down 1800. no biggie.

I let it run for about 5 min on a hose, and it stayed around 2350 rpm. However once I put it in the water it was back to 1950. Even after that I checked again on trailor and it was still at 1950. Wierd. I guess the loading or pressure from being in the water normalized everything.

If Im not mistaken, 5mins is too long to be running on the hose? It can overheat due to the ride plate not being in the water.

It was just idling, and and in saying 5 minutes, it was a ballpark figure. In reality it was 2-3 minutes. My intention was to warm up the motor somewhat to see if it dropped in rpm's.

i was running my rxp on the hose and the over heat light came on after 10min of being on there. can this be caused by not being in the water??? not sure why it came on??? anyone know

Quote Originally Posted by RustySeaRustyDoo View Post
    If Im not mistaken, 5mins is too long to be running on the hose? It can overheat due to the ride plate not being in the water.

You shouldn't run the ski for more than 5 minutes on the hose because you will burn up the ceramic seal on the driveshaft. The over temp alarm is from the exhaust system... Ron

so i dont have nothing to worry about just next time let it run for 5m. i sould be good on the water then?? i havent went out this year yet just brought it out tonight and thats when it happend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information