Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water in Hull

Water in Hull

Ok, I have a stage 1 + 4" intake + Greenwheel +RE Block offs. Last summer before I learned about this site I had blown SC washers. Did the rebuild over the winter. This spring I added the Greewheel, 4" intake and RE blockoffs. Take it out and I was getting the oil sensor code. Ended up being somthing wrong with a regulator. Fixed that and ran fine. After that I had a drive shaft boot rip and let water in the hull and could not plane out due all the weight of the water. Fixed the boot, took it out for about an hour and water in the hull again a cannot plane out. Most of the work is performed by a dealer. I have riddin my ski 6 times this spring and have taken it back 4 out of the 6 times. My question is why the hell is water getting in the hull again? Is it my RE blockoffs (don't think so) or is it the dealer not sealing the boot correctly? I currently have a 15/20 (which is to much prop and have a 14/19 on the way), could it be related to the prop? I am so sick of this. Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Banned User
    Pull it out of the water and fill up the hull with just enough water( not full ) and see where it leaks out from..

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifere View Post
    Fixed the boot, took it out for about an hour and water in the hull again a cannot plane out. Most of the work is performed by a dealer. I have riddin my ski 6 times this spring and have taken it back 4 out of the 6 times. I am so sick of this. Any help would be great! Thanks!!
    If all other stuff is tight...blockoffs, bailer assemblies, water hoses, etc., then it sounds like you are leaking at the carbon ring/bellows/floating ring since you mentioned you had trouble with the drive shaft 'boot'. The carbon ring, bellows and floating ring on the drive shaft make a critical seal to keep water out at the drive shaft. If they are not replaced correctly then it will leak and usually leak heavily, not just 'a little water', which is normal.
    Try putting water in the ski and see if it leaks through the grate. That would be a clue.
    Your earlier repairs and mods should not be causing a leak.
    Oh, one more thing, your 4" intake...Don't know which one you did but if you are using an elbow off the sc the elbow could be pressing on the carbon ring bellows which will deform that assembly and that will cause a leak.
    Last edited by lafjax; 05-27-2008 at 11:38 AM.

+1
    try this easy test.. back down the ramp ...keep the rear strap on the ski , so it's strapped tothe trailer...use a steep enough ramp...get the back end of the ski in the water up to the deck, like it is when riding. Pull the seat and use a flashlight and mirror to inspect and listen and watch...you should see the water coming in ..use the mirror to look at the sponson bolts..dont miss anything... i found a hard to find one this way..

Did those checks and it was the damb carbon seal. Do those go bad or would that be from incorrect installation? My of pitch prop wouldn't cause that would it?

+1
    They are a wear item. My understanding is if engine alignment is off it will make them wear quicker.

I have 35 hours on my 07 rxp so it couldn't be from wear IMO. My dealer had pulled the drive shaft and engine before these problems started. I think he is installing these things wrong. This is getting really old Thanks for your advice guys.

+1
    I had a small leak on my 03 GTX('bout a glassfull),the thing had 242 hrs on it....but it would not leak by putting water in the hull,only when on the water....

2000 DOLLARS JUST TO RUN STK MPH !!!!
    I had a 04 rxp in my work and it was doin the same thing. after countless attempts i found it to be the impeller cone on the prop. It was the same prop i belive it has a green aluminum impeller cone with an oring on in it? the water pushed by the oring causing a hydraulic press. pushing the drive shaft forward and opening up the carbon collar. he too had a ripped drive shaft boot. (WHOOPS MEANT BUMPER)
    if you have that impeller cone try drilling two small hoes in the side of the cone. It fixed his problem.
    Last edited by 2GS2STK; 05-29-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifere View Post
    Did those checks and it was the damb carbon seal. Do those go bad or would that be from incorrect installation? My of pitch prop wouldn't cause that would it?
    Yep, they do wer out but under normal? conditions they will last 100 - 150+ hours. Be sure to check your 4" intake.....Don't know which one you did but if you are using an elbow off the sc the elbow could be pressing on the carbon ring bellows which will deform that assembly and that will cause premature wear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information