Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with a 1999 XL1200

My brother just gave me a 1999 XL1200 ski because he is getting a new one. One problem, it doesn't run. I've decided to try to undergo rebuilding it myself since the local shops have told me that they wont' touch it for less than $3500. I have not had much experience inside of engines, but I'm fairly technically minded and feel that it should be fairly easy to fix.

I guessing that it easily has 400-500 hours on it as it was used extensively the first few years. I do know that it was addicted to being started with ether about 6 years ago. Once its warm, no problems starting for the rest of the day. Toward the end of the 2007 season, toward the end of each day, throttle would stick open. I'm fairly sure that my bro has not had it in the shop for the entire time that he had it, so everything should still be stock.

When I got it from him last month, I ran a compression test on each of the cylinders, first cylinder was about 108psi, second cylinder was about 63 psi and third had less than 10 psi. I have pulled the engine, but have not had time to open it up, yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start? And maybe where to buy parts. I'm going to start tinkering with it over the next two to three weeks, and hope to have it back in the water around the third week in June.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

I recently replaced an engine in a 98 XL1200. I did a lot of research and compared a matrix of options for replacement. The most economical and efficient way to fix the engine is to replace the whole engine with a rebuilt engine. I got the engine through sbtontheweb Prices are available on the website, turn around was great and the engine runs great so far. Save your self alot of time, hastle and money and swap your tired engine with one of their completely rebuilt engines. Unless of course you have your own machine shop.... Good luck

well u could build one nice motor for the 3500! actually building it yourself with all new components and having your cylinders bored and going thru the cabs your looking at 1100 $ ish it will be of higher quality than a off the shelf rebuild if you go this route

Thats what I was thinking. Can you point me to a good location to buy the parts?

Dan from waterworks sells cranks on here in the classifieds , He will weld them if u want! Pro-x for pistons check the store section for those and carb kits

also yours has some stuff like a cat and power valves also the cylinders are nikasiled I believe so you will need to address those unlike the 98 1200

Quote Originally Posted by PropOrJet View Post
    The most economical and efficient way to fix the engine is to replace the whole engine with a rebuilt engine.
    Hmmm, well, more than one person has found out that an sbt engine is not perfect. I, for one, am enjoying the process of learning (from ZMANN and others) how to be a jet ski mechanic.

Thanks for all who have replied so far. I'm sure that once I get the engine torn apart, i'll have numerous more questions. Maybe someday, I'll be a jet ski mechanic also....

pm sent- I most if not all of what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by krivashulk View Post
    Hmmm, well, more than one person has found out that an sbt engine is not perfect. I, for one, am enjoying the process of learning (from ZMANN and others) how to be a jet ski mechanic.
    No doubt every motor from SBT is not perfect. And I by no means am claiming this is the most robust option. For me, It was the best economical and efficient way to replace the motor. I priced out the items and machine work that I needed to fix the motor with a severly damaged piston/cylinder and slightly out of true crank from oil injection line failure. The difference was considerable at about 2X. I really don't want to become a jetski mechanic and didn't want to deal with the various machine shops . It is fun to learn and if you have the time to do it yourself you will enjoy the experience. Just offering an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information