Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Glastron Carlson CVX-20 Jet For sale now

I am buying my brother's Glastron Carlson CVX-20 jetboat. It is a 1979, very low hours, mint condition, 460 Ford, fresh Berkely pump, Jet-O-Vator (nice rooster tail! ). We rebuilt the carb, added marine electronic ignition, replaced the fuel pump, added a top loader grate and a few other minor things over the last two years. It is a great boat and too cheap to pass up. Its all stock and runs 62ish. Anybody have any input, experience, info or good websites about this boat? This is the 4th jetboat in our family and easily the nicest ... all gold metalflake and very pretty ... will be a nice alternative to the jetski on some days.
    Last edited by Vern; 03-07-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Decided to sell boat

Hey you interested in selling your CVX????

[email protected]

Lemme know!

Dan

+1
    Sorry Dan, replied to your PM, but just saw the post. I like the boat, am keeping it for now, but thanks for the interest!

460 cui! 385 series marine block and internals, cammed for balls to the walls! way to go!

+1
    Thanks PR! It really is a fun boat and still turns heads, especially when I crank the Jetovator up ... my daughter likes it and I can take her and her friends tubing with it too. Unfortunately it is coming out for the season tomorrow .... but I will keep the ski on the lift for a few weeks yet!

Dry or wet exhaust?
    yeah my friend lost his privledges when he had his jet boat...

was soooo loud, 454 worked, Berkely drive, tunnel ram, wet exhaust no baffles, 45 degree upwards, eventually got chased by the Helecopter police and fined heavily...

was good for around 70-72

post a pic when you can!, and good luck with her!......

+1
    Wet exhaust ... and I know you will find this pretty shocking, but its all stock yet! My friends swear I even souped up my central vacuum system, lawn mower, and everthing else I own, but this boat is all stock yet. I am resisting the urge to mod it ... in case my RXP blows up, at least the boat is still available! I do need to get some pics ... maybe this weekend before I put it on the trailer and in the barn. I should get an action pic with the Jetovator ... people just don't see that anymore and we get a lot of stares and thumbs up.

That 460 is marine grade then it`s already cammed for it`s intended use. so it`s a monster to start off with! can you tell me what carb & intake are on it?
    switching to marine electronics is good, it`s more static resistant for USCG approval. I remember using mallory dual point, then unilite, and electronic pick up as a trigger. difff from the early auto`s as there is no vacuum advance, it`s all mechanical and some components can be adjustable...
    There are some tweeks you can do with carb, intake and timing curve if you needed to but it sounds like the boat is running strong!...
    also what type of flame arrestor is on it?...

man that sounds like a ton of fun!...

+1
    The 460 is rated at 320 horsepower in this boat. The intake is just stock Ford 4 bbl intake, carb is a 600 Holley marine with vac secondaries, which sounds small, but when the pumps are tight on these boats, they are only supposed to turn 4200 - 4500 rpm, which is where mine is at. Jets love torque more than hp ...

We installed a Mallory Unilite billet marine distributor and set initial timing at 9 degrees; I should check what it is when the mechanical advance kicks in, but have not done that yet. Supposedly the cams in the marine 460 Fords are installed retarded to keep exhaust hot and reduce emissions, and installing it 'straight up' can gain 25 hp. I should do that and also possibly try different springs in the vacuum secondaries, but for a stock 20 foot jetboat to break 60 mph on GPS, you know it is running good. It takes far more hp and pump work to make these things compete with a prop boat on top end and I don't want to waste the $$ to try to do that ... my RXP handles that!

The flame arrestor is a USCG approved SS mesh one with the fuel pump dump line going into it. Not an air cleaner ... just a flame arrestor, seems very unrestricted.

If I really wanted to mess with it, I would install the cam straight up, put on a 0 - 5000 rpm aluminum intake manifold (low rpm mild street like Edelbrock Performer, not the RPM), check the fully advanced timing with my dial-back light, then possibly mess with the carb a little. BUT ... I really shouldn't ... its not my race boat and it is very reliable with no major problems right now. Altho we did break a drift pin that holds the distributor gear on the billet shaft ... strange, but we got the pieces of the old pin out easily with magnets, and it was a very easy fix. Other than that, no issues this year.

excellent!
    I`m assuming the stock intake manifold is alum? it prolly also has small diameter runners, low rise? prolly for the torque aspect of it.

The mallory is a great distributor, is it the unilte, or hall effect trigger etc? and you have an ignition box?

I`ve had great success with with a small 268* cam, holley 3310 with air horn removed and blended venturi, rear metering plate, bowl extensions, vac secondary spring kit. etc, but that was for auto application.
    Also I loved the mallory unilite triggering a jacobs OMNI PAK, was def kick ass ignition...

believe it or not I was aso using a Wiend Stealth intake, port matched, don`t be fooled by the large diameter runners and generous plenum, this manifold pulled from idle to 6500+ with a little help from a small converter...
    and I had many hours of head work...tho it was a torque monster

but hey, thanks for sharing the info, glad to see some Blue Oval guys out here!... have a good time with the boat!...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information