Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'99 Genesis Driveshaft Seal Leak QUestion

Hey--sorry to bother everyone--but I am trying to fix my friend's '99 Polaris Genesis leaking driveshaft seal for her--she called me and said hull was full of water and after we bilged it out I see a steady stream of H20 coming through at driveshaft. I am a Yamaha/Sea-Doo owner so have never worked on Polaris but seems like shaft seal replacement should be straightforward--and hoping shaft is not worn. Dunno--she got them used last yearand the grease helix there I pointed out was a newfound thing so I am concerned-- I am just not sure whether the pump/impeller needs to be removed or if I can just disconnect driveshaft at coupler behind motor to do this deed? Or does it disco there at all? Just not familiar with P's--couldn't find a FAQ to know for sure but found a step-bystep and although I found schematic on several threads, I am not sure what years it is for. She says it is a '99 Genesis--that's all the inf I got from her and as the hull and cowl on the machine has been repainted and destickered I saw no other distinguishing marks--Thanks for helping me help a friend in distress.....Doug

+1
    Welcome to "P" Land...

Remove the four bolts item #28 and pull the pump and drive shaft. Replace the seal/bearing carrier. If the drive shaft is worn you can cut some or the rubber tube so the seals ride in a different location on the drive shaft.

Thanks--and I assume that for the seals I can just match up at McMaster-Carr or auto parts place Ok? Thanks DOUG

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mulberry View Post
    Hey--sorry to bother everyone--but I am trying to fix my friend's '99 Polaris Genesis leaking drive shaft seal for her--
    --she got them used last year and the grease helix there I pointed out was a newfound thing so I am concerned--

...Just not familiar with P's--couldn't find a FAQ to know for sure but found a step-bystep and although I found schematic on several threads, I am not sure what years it is for.

She says it is a '99 Genesis--that's all the info I got from her and as the hull and cowl on the machine has been repainted and destickered
    I saw no other distinguishing marks--Thanks for helping me help a friend in distress.....Doug
    Welcome to the Hulk!

There is a 2002 online Service Manual here. Most things will be the same on a 1999 model.

You can check the model year, it is the last two digits of the HIN number on the metal plate on the rear deck.

That through-hull grease fitting does need a regular injection of waterproof marine grease. Fresh water riding, maybe once or twice per season. Salt water, more often. Some people pump a squeeze or two of the grease gun into it after every ride.

If there is corrosion between the circular segments of the pump housing, that should be cleaned off before re-assembly with some anti-seize compound, to ensure the pump sections are perfectly aligned with each other, and the hull mount.

Grease the shaft O-ring at the impeller splines, and grease the drive shaft splines at both ends with waterproof grease.

Make sure the correct number of rubber end bumpers are in place on the drive shaft. Sometimes they get stuck inside the coupler or the impeller spline cavities. I think the Genesis had a double bumper on one end of the drive shaft (one bumper silicone glued atop another).

Clean up the threads on those long jet pump bolts, and use some blue Locktite 242 when you torque them to 18ft-lbs, using a criss-cross pattern.

Once you have replaced the through-hull seals and bearing assembly, and it is running again, have your friend read through the maintenance aspects of the Service Manual.

Even better, introduce her to the Green Hulk community!

A 1999 Genesis is now 9 years old. It is probably a good idea to go over it thoroughly, to ensure there are no other potential problems waiting to happen.

Between the Service Manuals and the knowledgeable Polaris folk around here, we can keep that Genesis on the water for a long time to come.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mulberry View Post
    Thanks--and I assume that for the seals I can just match up at McMaster-Carr or auto parts place Ok? Thanks DOUG
    Check the bearings for corrosion/wear.

So the pump comes out with the four long bolts? Seems awfully simple to remove it!!!! Not complaining ....(Haven't looked at manual yet--just downloaded it though) D

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Yep,the 4 long bolts,and remove the connecting cables for the reverse and trim (if it has it). If the stator is hard to come loose,just use a 2 x 4 board to work it side to side use the hull for leverage. The driveshaft may be hard to yank out,but it'll come,just don't bust your kazoo when it does.

Got it! Downloaded manual and it looks simple enough. Thanks for your help to all! Wish older Yami's had yaken a clue from Polaris on getting to the driveshaft....ahem.......Doug

Can anyone tell me the size of the seal that is #15? (need 2) on the diagram? $16/per is WAY too steep to order from dealer when I can match it up at McMaster-Carr or autoparts store for 1/3 that and no shipping. I just need the dimensions of shaft plus depth and outside diameter of seat. Surely someone has already done this? I searched for 20 mins on search function but couldnt find where anyone had. I can get depth and OD from old seal but need unworn shaft size for ID of seal--ANYONE? thanks DOUG

+1
    I come up with .875" shaft. Seal OD 1.5" Width aprox .375..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information