Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie here, few questions

Hey everyone, just signed up, nice looking site. I'm in the process of getting a 93 Seadoo GTS that needs some work. I dont know too much about the specific problems that its having other then its hard to start and it probably needs an impeller. I know that the owner didnt really do anything to it as far as maintence other then put gas and oil into it. Once I get it here at my shop I will be able to get a better idea of what the problems are. Right now what Im looking for is just general information on this ski. What size engine does it have? What are the specs? Any normal problems I should keep an eye out for? Whats a good source for parts? While I havent really worked on a PWC before I do own an auto repair shop and I have worked on pretty much anything with wheels from go-karts to diesel trucks and I also have a few snowmobiles that I've rebuilt engines on and whatnot so I am familiar with two strokes. Never dealt with a Rotax motor before though and Im assuming thats what this has. Well any help you can give is much appreciated. Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    First off, welcome to GH!
    As far as I know its 55hp, 581cc engine in it. You can upgrade it to the 85hp, 720cc I believe, with out much work.
    Whats wrong with the impeller? Was something sucked up in it? If your replacing the impeller might as well do the wear ring, (the brass ring that is around the impeller) and the carbon ring that is on the inside of the hull around the drive shaft. check the splines on the drive shaft also.
    Define hard to start. does it click then turn over,just weak turning over, or take a long time to start. you may need to pull the carb(s) rebulid them, and clean the screens in them.

I havent experianced the hard start problem yet but Ill have it at the shop thursday so I should know then. As far as the impeller, when you take off from a stop the engine revs up and bangs off the rev limiter while the ski accelerates really slowly. Im assuming thats the impeller cavitating under acceleration. The top speed is really down too. Its been like that for a few years now (like I said the owner did zero maintence to it). Is there a recommened way to test the ski without having it in the water?

+1
    take the seat off to the engine compartment. on one of the lines that connects to the head there should be an attachment for a garden hose. If not there is a kit for it or you can make your own. its just a t-barb, a piece of hose and a female garden hose end.
    when you do this. start the ski first, then the water and you should be good to go. when you shut it off shut the water off first then the ski. when the water is off give it a little rev to get all the water out of the system. (head and exhaust pipe)

Thanks for the tip!

Alright, well I got her in the shop today. Checked compression, its a little weak at 125psi per cylinder but that should be enough right? Second test was for spark, think I found the problem, we got no spark at the plugs. I havent torn into the box that the plug wires run into yet as its buried back next to the fuel tank. The seals around the wires where they go into the box are broken and somebody tried to reseal them with a combo of electrical and duct tape. So what exactly is in that box (Im assuming the coil and mayeb a CDI box?), how do I test it and assuming its bad where do I get a new one?

I havent checked for fuel properly yet but after you crank it a bit the plugs are getting damp and I can smell gas in the cylinders so I assume we at least have some fuel flow. How much of a pain in the butt is it to rebuild the carb on this thing? (Im assuming it has a carb right?) Also what kind of carb is it? I've worked on Mikunis and Tillys before. Thanks for the help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 88blkiroc View Post
    Alright, well I got her in the shop today. Checked compression, its a little weak at 125psi per cylinder but that should be enough right? Second test was for spark, think I found the problem, we got no spark at the plugs. I havent torn into the box that the plug wires run into yet as its buried back next to the fuel tank. The seals around the wires where they go into the box are broken and somebody tried to reseal them with a combo of electrical and duct tape. So what exactly is in that box (Im assuming the coil and mayeb a CDI box?), how do I test it and assuming its bad where do I get a new one?

I havent checked for fuel properly yet but after you crank it a bit the plugs are getting damp and I can smell gas in the cylinders so I assume we at least have some fuel flow. How much of a pain in the butt is it to rebuild the carb on this thing? (Im assuming it has a carb right?) Also what kind of carb is it? I've worked on Mikunis and Tillys before. Thanks for the help
    In that box there is a coil, a starter relay, and a couple of fuses. Ususally if you cut the plug wires back after you pull of the boot try checking for spark again but if there held together by ducttape just replace both of them. then at least you would know if the coil was bad. I think a new coil is around 100 bucks. I'm not sure who has a shop/store on here but I sometimes order older parts for my Doo from PPG.
    As for the carb(s) they are pretty simple, Its Mikuni. once you have the rebuild kit just start replacing rubber seals and gaskets, clean the filter screens, and replace the needle and seat. I think that I thought of them all.

If you look around this site, do a search for topics relavant and check out the Seadoo how to &FAQ tab. I think that there is a carb video.

Ok, next question, whats the best way to acess the box? Take out the pipe and maybe the fuel and oil tanks?

+1
    I've never seen the inside of your ski. doesnt the seat come off? The top usually snaps right off and the coil, fuses and relay are on a board thats attached to the top of the box. The box that you are looking for is usually located in the back of the ski

The box is up in front next to the gas and oil tanks. I got it out today but i need to figure out a good way to test the components. The fuses are both good. Any way to bench test the coil or the ignition box?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information