How To: Relocate Riva Catch Can on 2004 and 2005 RXPs

So I bought the Riva Catch Can Kit from Jerry. It came on time. The box was a lot bigger than I was expecting, and the catch can was a lot bigger than I thought. Very solid and built well. The directions were very straight forward and included five steps. I figured it would take 15 minutes to install the catch can. Some how I forgot the simple rule, "everything that seems easy never goes as planned".

So I get up to the lake. The first step says to remove the two forward most bolts on the exhaust manifold (funny they don't mention anything about the bolt head type or what socket to use). Sounds easy. Then I looked at the bolt head on the exhaust manifold. It's star shaped. Oh great. I got the top one off no problem with an 8mm socket. I could for the life of me not get the bottom bolt off. I tried everything. Once the bolt head started to round off, I stopped. I mounted the catch can with just the top bolt. This location is great for 2006 and up RXP's and RXT's. It sucks for the 2004 and 2005 skis because of where the PCV system is located. When you run the line from the PCV system to the catch can, it loops down and then up to the can. We all know liquids like to settle in the lowest spot. I just did not feel like this was the best location for the catch can on 2004 and 2005 skis. I then went to work.

I looked around the ski and found the best place to locate the can would be by the battery in the front of the ski. I removed the rear battery bolt and noticed there was already an extra hole in the bracket. I took a small piece of aluminum and bent it at a 90 degree angle. I then drilled the holes for the catch can bracket and where the bracket would mount next to the battery. I bolted it all down and then ran the hose from the PCV system to the catch can. The hose rests on the gas tank. There are no loops in the line and it's pretty much a straight shot from the PCV system to the catch can.

Here are a few pictures, because as they say, "pictures are worth a thousand words". The catch can looks like it is leaning a lot, that's due to the way I took the picture. I also had the trailer tilted up a lot because I was cleaning the hull. I might redo the bracket next trip up to make it look cleaner.

I hope this helps some people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0542.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	74997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0545.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	74998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0546.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	74999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0547.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	75000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	75001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0577.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	75002  

+1
    I use a 1/4" open end wrench to get the bottom bolt, it fits perfectly. The bolts are called external torx bolts. You can get sockets for them at any Sears.

well done.

I have to get some high grade 3/4" tubing for mine. I currently have that clear reinforced crap from home depot and its starting to deform and kink from the heat.

I had mine mounted in the same place and the fluids came out of the catch can thru the breather valve... kinda made a mess. I think maybe this was because the bow comes up more often and sloshed it all around... I dunno. I ordered the riva and mounted it in the location its designed to be in. I'm also kinda unhappy that they didn't design the can for the 04-05 models.. Could have just flipped the can around and it would have made for a much nicer install.

Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    Could have just flipped the can around and it would have made for a much nicer install.
    I could not flip it around because the brass fitting only fits on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum0286 View Post
    I use a 1/4" open end wrench to get the bottom bolt, it fits perfectly. The bolts are called external torx bolts. You can get sockets for them at any Sears.
    The huge sears by my house does not stock the external torx sockets. They said it is a speciality item and takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get.

The bottom bolt was on there solid. I heated up the bolt and I still could not get it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    I could not flip it around because the brass fitting only fits on that side.

Oh I mean riva could have flipped the can around for the older machines... The only difference would be that the inserts which the bracket bolts to would have to on the opposite side of the can....

I couldnt flip mine around either... just got a long hose on it which doesn't look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    The huge sears by my house does not stock the external torx sockets. They said it is a speciality item and takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get.

The bottom bolt was on there solid. I heated up the bolt and I still could not get it.
    Without the right torx sockets theose bolts are hard to get off... I have a set from sears and napa.

Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    Oh I mean riva could have flipped the can around for the older machines... The only difference would be that the inserts which the bracket bolts to would have to on the opposite side of the can....

I couldnt flip mine around either... just got a long hose on it which doesn't look very good.
    I was excited after my long ride to see oil in the catch can, but there was nothing in there. I guess that's a good thing.

Thread Information