SLX 780 shaft alignment Question???

Guys, many of u mentioned in my rebuild post "machine two" that I should rent a shaft alignment tool when i reinstall my engine in the hull. Well tonight I laid the engine back in the hull and there does not appear to be any room for adjustment in terms of the engine/shaft alignment. There are 4 primary studs and 4 secondary studs that occupy the entire slot in the motor mount plate virtually positioning the motor. I slid the drive shaft assembly into the housing and it slid right in. There are zero shims on this motor...just the rubber isolators *(which I never touched) 4 washers and 4 nyloc nuts.

I dont mean to doubt anyone so please dont take this inquiry that way. I just need to understand what I am missing. Thanks

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockout View Post
    Guys, many of u mentioned in my rebuild post "machine two" that I should rent a shaft alignment tool when i reinstall my engine in the hull. Well tonight I laid the engine back in the hull and there does not appear to be any room for adjustment in terms of the engine/shaft alignment. There are 4 primary studs and 4 secondary studs that occupy the entire slot in the motor mount plate virtually positioning the motor. I slid the drive shaft assembly into the housing and it slid right in. There are zero shims on this motor...just the rubber isolators *(which I never touched) 4 washers and 4 nyloc nuts.

I dont mean to doubt anyone so please dont take this inquiry that way. I just need to understand what I am missing. Thanks
    being the hack that i am who doesnt have a torque wrench
    i own an alignment tool,,and a sea tow membership,,redundint --i know
    so please get 1 or the other so you dont have to swim it in
    he will send some shims with the tool if ya ask
    takes 5 minutes,,and as odd as it sounds,,,i have none on the port side ,and 2 in the back starboard,1 in front starboard
    and its not a matter of does it go in ,but how parallel it is in the hole dicktates how long it lasts
    DO IT ,DO IT
    mattman

Thread Information