Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sucked up a rope!!!

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but I sucked up a 3ft piece of ski rope somehow over the weekend. Needless to say the rubber coupler is gone. I have another one, but looking in the shop manual it looks different than the one I have. The one I have has 5 rubber nubs and the ones in the shop manual have 6 nubs. Which one should I have. It's a 95 Raider 1100.

Since I have had no response let me rephrase my question.

When I went to go ride after a friend brought the ski back the engine was revving pretty freely and the ski was moving very slowly not quite getting up on plane.

My first thought was that something got sucked up in the impeller and that caused the rubber coupler to be destroyed. I was right that something got sucked up, but isn't that what the coupler is for? Isn't it designed to give so that serious damage doesn't occur?
    Last edited by mattb2179; 05-28-2008 at 10:01 AM.

+1
    I think use the one that's on your craft. I know the 700 or 760 engine uses an different type of coupler damper then the 1100 or 1200 engine. Make sure your looking at the right part of the right engine type in hte manual. If the one on your craft has six, you have to use that one ofcourse . It's easly done. Just unbolt the engine from it supports and push the engine forward just about inch or two. That's all it takes.

the coupler helps to 'cover up' any misalinements durning assembly and manufacture,it helps dampen/ absorb any drive train vibration.

yes this also would minutely lessens the drivetrain shock transfered thru the shaft when and if you sucked up anything...but would not let the coupler 'slip-thru' like a clutch would .
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 05-29-2008 at 02:00 PM.

+1
    I forgot to mention. I saw the coupler wrench for the yamaha. They only got the three finger coupler (650 and older 700 engines) and the five finger coupler (three cyllinder engines)

This past weekend I got after it and pulled the nozzle off and removed the rope. It was a small piece, just over a foot long, that had cleanly made it through the impeller and partially wrapped itself around the shaft past the impeller, just behind the cone shaped grease cover, with the tail end of the rope sticking through the fin things (I don't know what they are called). Upon inspection the rubber coupler appeared to be fine. I removed the cover and checked for any play, but everything felt tight.

I haven't put it back in the water yet, but will do so this weekend. I just can't believe that such a small piece of rope would cause the cavitation that I think I felt. It would idle ok, and if I was gentle with the throttle I could get on plane, but when I gunned it the engine would revup quickly and it wouldn't go very fast at all.

Could something else have gone out or gone wrong?

that rope would have done it... wipped that water into a froth while trying to go thru the hub..left you nothing to push..

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    that rope would have done it... wipped that water into a froth while trying to go thru the hub..left you nothing to push..
    I guess I just don't understand the hydrodynamics of it all, but ok. I like the occassional frothy brew but I'll keep try to keep it out of my ski from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by mattb2179 View Post
    I guess I just don't understand the hydrodynamics of it all, but ok. I like the occassional frothy brew but I'll keep try to keep it out of my ski from now on.
    Matt check out this post. It may help answer some of your questions about this issue. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ght=cavitation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information