Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 Seadoo Xp "just Plows Through The Water"

Bought another cheap doo (800 bucks without trailer)the guy who I bought it from said that it just plows through the water at about 10 mph never plaining off and that it started out as a once every two or three times out but got steadly worse as time went on that "sometimes it would do it for ten or fifthteen min. or so then it "would take off like bat out of hell and it would be maybe 7 or 8 hours of riding time before it would do it again"I took my compression gauge the cylinders tested 155 and 150. It idled a little rough, kinda like a smooth idle then a rough one for about 2 or seconds then back to smooth again for about ten seconds.So I take it down to the river and that's all it will do is plows through the water bogging at never enough to plain out just like the guy said,it finally quit running any at all after the bogging for about 10 min., so I poped the plugs out and there was lots of spark,took it home ran on the water hose but still idled ruff,So I hosed some gas out and it smells really fresh but has a little crap in it,the fuel filter had it too.After taking some more fuel out I see more crap like little brown flakes, so I get all the fuel out, put new fresh gas in it but it still does the same thing, one thing I did notice that the plugs have a lot of fuel on them,could the needle valves be stuck?,and pulling the choke did not help either so I think it's getting enough fuel?I noticed that the fuel baffle had been taken out because the fuel lines had been numbered to match the fitting on the baffle.I also noticed that the rave valves had been painted.
    My question is,is this a fuel problem or maybe something to do with the rave valves or maybe some freaky electrical probelm?

+1
    Carb clean time. Full fuel system go through. on off valve, fuel lines, filter, e.t.c. The raves are easy to check and clean. Do a compression check as well.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +! replace the entire fuel system. if it has the grey fuel lines thats most likely your problem as well as a carb cleaning!

Don't forget the tiny filters in the carbs. Someone mentioned the valve already but some people think if it's open it's OK. They do restrict without completly shutting off when dirty.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    +! replace the entire fuel system. if it has the grey fuel lines thats most likely your problem as well as a carb cleaning!
    About how many feet of fuel line will I need to do the whole system?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by HBILLYJET View Post
    About how many feet of fuel line will I need to do the whole system?
    15'

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    15'
    Just did my 96XP and took almost 20'. I bought 15' initialy and it wasn't enough.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996XP View Post
    Just did my 96XP and took almost 20'. I bought 15' initialy and it wasn't enough.
    15' is not replacing the vent lines. There is no need, as this is always going out and never getting to the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    + I replaced the cleaned fuel system,in. if it has the grey fuel lines thats most likely your problem as well as a carb cleaning!
    I cleaned the carbs,replaced all the gray lines (the little fuel filters in one carb was completely stoped up)But I don't understand the oil pump adjustment,with the older seadoo I had a single carb you would aline the little marks by pulling the trottle open but on this one (787 engine) it seems that the only way to aline the mark is with the trottle closed?Is this right?,and do you do it with the cable that comes from the carb on the pto side of the engine or the one closer to the mag. side?I put enough oil in the tank to make the mix a premix of 40to1 and fired it up and it seemed like I'd had the butterflys open to much because it idle to high,now this adjustment should be made with the cable closest to the mag,right?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    15' is not replacing the vent lines. There is no need, as this is always going out and never getting to the carbs.
    You're right!! I went to buy the exta line today. Realized teh vents were too much of a pain. Good to hear you don't need to replace it!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information