Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Thumbs up Polaris SL900 Ignition Advice

    Just picked up a 1996 Polaris SL 900 with ignition issues and thought I could fix but having difficulties finding source for coil pack as it appears that it and replacement is no longer produced. I guess that is why I got the machine for nothing..., oh well. The question is can we not use later model parts if we replace the 3 main components or even have the coil pack rebuilt? What about motorcycle parts? I know the coil is sealed and pain in rse to fix but whats a guy to do other than put rig around the campfire and use for marshmallow roaster seat while dreaming of crashing waves...


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,704
    +1
    109
    there are still plenty of new and used polaris parts everywhere ,did you check ebay yet .

  3. #3
    800AMSOIL4U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Posts
    5,024
    +1
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog123 View Post
    Just picked up a 1996 Polaris SL 900 with ignition issues and thought I could fix but having difficulties finding source for coil pack as it appears that it and replacement is no longer produced. I guess that is why I got the machine for nothing..., oh well. The question is can we not use later model parts if we replace the 3 main components or even have the coil pack rebuilt? What about motorcycle parts? I know the coil is sealed and pain in rse to fix but whats a guy to do other than put rig around the campfire and use for marshmallow roaster seat while dreaming of crashing waves...
    Are you sure that is what is wrong with it? I would make sure to test the stator first.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,704
    +1
    109
    AMSOIL,
    is right it's probrably the stator more then the coil pack . go to the tech section and look up how to test a domestic stator .

  5. #5
    Hi, yup, got the manual and did full resistance tests on stator and coil..., found resistance on open circuit on stator and greater than norm on one lead for primary coil pack. All the big suppliers show parts and the stator is avail but the coil pak is NA, darn. I know they are expensive to replace but when they aren't even avail that is crazy, the rig is not that old. I did check ebay to no avail. I have the later PVL ignition with good CDI etc. I do not think it was modified on the machine in any way, all looks original.
    The PN for coil pack which is NA is 4060137, it was superceded but none avail. Desperate times call for desparate measures like trying to fix, substitue or wait on ebay..., thx for replies, they are very helpful being new to Polaris and PWC...

  6. #6
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,Iowa
    Posts
    6,381
    +1
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog123 View Post
    Hi, yup, got the manual and did full resistance tests on stator and coil..., found resistance on open circuit on stator and greater than norm on one lead for primary coil pack. All the big suppliers show parts and the stator is avail but the coil pak is NA, darn. I know they are expensive to replace but when they aren't even avail that is crazy, the rig is not that old. I did check ebay to no avail. I have the later PVL ignition with good CDI etc. I do not think it was modified on the machine in any way, all looks original.
    The PN for coil pack which is NA is 4060137, it was superceded but none avail. Desperate times call for desparate measures like trying to fix, substitue or wait on ebay..., thx for replies, they are very helpful being new to Polaris and PWC...
    Coils are around,I'm sure John Zigler or Jabba's would have used ones at a fair price.Their members, Or check for new with Randy of Watcon or Jay at Alantic Power sports. Crazy A has the stator upgrade kit for it I tjhink for sale on here.

  7. #7
    checked watcon and powersports, none avail, how do I get hold of Crazy A?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,704
    +1
    109
    if you have the updated ignition kit or not you can get a coil pack from any 96, 97 or 98 ,900-1050 they all use the same update kit so that means you can use any coil pack from one of those years
    96 sl 900
    97 sl 900
    97 sl 1050
    97 sltx 1050
    98 slxh 1050
    98 sltx 1050 should work for you

  9. #9
    just tried babbitsonline and you are right those years all appear to use the same ignition, cool, the PN for the coil pack is same, unfort they are all unavail from online stores, must be a hot item now I guess, darn, nice try though, really app the effort. I thought I read from someone I can't find anymore that said we could use even later model like 1200, if i find I will post, thx.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,704
    +1
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog123 View Post
    just tried babbitsonline and you are right those years all appear to use the same ignition, cool, the PN for the coil pack is same, unfort they are all unavail from online stores, must be a hot item now I guess, darn, nice try though, really app the effort. I thought I read from someone I can't find anymore that said we could use even later model like 1200, if i find I will post, thx.

    Theres always a ton of 1050 parts on ebay way more then the 900

    hold on i might have one i'll get back to you

    my buddies gonna check when he gets home i stripped a 96 a year or so ago and gave him all the electrical parts .
    Last edited by 785 lugs; 05-28-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Polaris upgrade Ignition???
    By bski224 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2016, 09:29 AM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 06:52 PM
  3. Polaris SL900 ignition problem, 2 of 3 plugs are working! Please advice!
    By polaris007 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM
  4. 97 Polaris SL900 ignition problem
    By git_sum in forum Polaris Projects
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
  5. 96 Polaris SL900 Not starting
    By XeightyfiveX in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •