'04 Ultra 150 Repairs needed! Any advice?

First time posting on Green Hulk! I have read some really informative posts. Here's my story. It's been about 10 yrs since I last owned a JetSki('92 750sx). Last summer I got the itch again, so my wife and I bought one of the leftover '05 Honda Aquatrax R-12's. Didn't want any reliability problems. Just fill and go! Very comfortable, a little slow compared to the Ultra's, but just what the doctor ordered for the wife. For me, I was in the market for an ULTRA 150. Looked for about a month and found an '04 in Florida. Was not as nice as the photos looked, but the excitement won me over about getting another ski. Also, it would not start without priming the cylinders. That should alerted me something was up. But I brought it home anyway. Took it to local dealership and they cleaned the carbs and said that should do the trick. Got home, tried to fire up, still same problem. So I went to a different dealership. It was still prime riding season and shops were behind in service so I had to wait 2 months before they could look at it. While waiting I happen to come across an '03 Ultra with only 13 hrs(Totally Mint Cond). This is the ski that I had been looking for. I could not pass it up. Looks great, runs great. No complaints. After a couple of weeks on the new '03 the dealership called and said the '04 was fixed. They explained that it was not getting any fire and charged $900 for a new stator, battery, and labor. Finally got to ride the thing almost 7 months after owning it. We went out for about 30 min and did well until it started to hesitate then kill. Started up for a few minutes, but then dead again. This happened 3 or 4 more times. The last time it fired up, the engine would not rev above 2500 RPM's. So back to the dock! Checked pump and no problem. I am no gearhead when it comes to wrenching but I can remove and replace parts, not much of a tuner. Now I have begun pulling the engine apart and looking for possible options on what to do with it. I have no problems with replacing parts, but do not have the expertise to decide which items need replacing. Even thought about replacing engine, but I don't know if that money would be spent wisely. Do I just put it back together and sell it as a project for someone or repair it? And if I do repair it, do I keep it and put some mods on the nicer '03 or just sell it and buy my kids a pair of 50cc dirt bikes? ALL COMMENTS WELCOME!!

It may be simple such as fouled plugs, that would be a place to start. While changing those check for spark on each cylinder. Do you have a service manual?

I agree the plugs are fouled. I had a friend once buy a 1999 Ultra that ran like Sh!#. Turned out somebody had modded it then taken most of the stuff off to sell. All he had to do once we realized this was add the heads back and it screamed. You might want to do a plug chop and see if its too rich.

+1
    check the plugs i agree, if not go over the cdi or stator. sounds like something minor. keep us posted and we will help

i say swap parts from the 03 to the 04 until the issuse it fixed! haha
    i also agree try plugs i had the same issuse and it was the plugs.

Thanks for responding so fast guys. I am going to assemble everything back together once I clean the engine. While wrenching yesterday, I notice one of the heads had a SBT id tag on it. It would have been nice if the dealer let me know that this engine had some work done on it before buying. Anyway, thanks again! Hey BTL, nice paint on the 150! I sat for about 3 hours last night before posting, going through alot of project threads. Some sweet rides in here. Everyone giving info rather than alot of smack. Great find!

i also figured that there would be trash talking but its really not like that, i enjoy helping people as others have done for me BTL is a big key to hitting my 70 MPH mark on my ski. there is alot of info in the minds of us ultra guys

Cjb , we all have been the victim of the gottahaveit syndrome. Thats how I got the basket case 99 i got 1st. With basic skills and this forum you can do anything your ski will need. As soon as I get a few more parts i'm going to build my first Jet Ski motor. Drop me a pm if you go to the Prop Stop or the Amite side of the Lakes. Good luck Mike

We are a bunch of ski freeks in here. It is pretty nice how willing people are to help here, I have seen lots get flammed on other sites. Most of us ultra guys also frequent skiworx site also. That one has lots of info for ultras and is well worth reading. That is where alot of the mods in the mod thread came from. You do have an advantage having 2 ultras it makes part swapping easy.

Thread Information