2006 GTI SE depth finder

Has anyone retro fitted the 06 GTI SE with a depth finder??? Thats the next project

Quote Originally Posted by JimMGTI View Post
    Has anyone retro fitted the 06 GTI SE with a depth finder??? Thats the next project
    Here's what I did on my RXT...should fit on anything...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48580

I'd like to do this to my 07 GTI. I've been searching but don't see any information telling me what Puck I would need to buy and where I would need to get it from? Where does it get connected and how? Pretty much all I could find is that I have to take it to the dealer no matter what to get them to turn on the display option.

Quote Originally Posted by Squintz View Post
    I'd like to do this to my 07 GTI. I've been searching but don't see any information telling me what Puck I would need to buy and where I would need to get it from? Where does it get connected and how? Pretty much all I could find is that I have to take it to the dealer no matter what to get them to turn on the display option.
    Here's what I used... great customer service, contact Patrick for questions. Comes with puck, display, all wire. See my thread above for installation or check out installation on the norcross site:
    http://www.norcrossmarine.com/produc...D/overview.htm
    Here is the same but "re-certified", half the price:
    http://www.fishingworld.com/Norcross...&SKU=DF1000D-B

I wondering if something like this could be taken out of its case and mounted inside the haul of my GTI.

http://www.pacnwmarine.com/product_i...ts_id=21714777

I love the idea that it is on my wrist. I wonder how well the watch would hold up if I went swiming with it. It's very tempting for me to purcahse one of these and take it apart.

Has this already been attempted?

I wondering if something like this could be taken out of its case and mounted inside the haul of my GTI.

http://www.pacnwmarine.com/product_i...ts_id=21714777

I love the idea that it is on my wrist. I wonder how well the watch would hold up if I went swiming with it. It's very tempting for me to purcahse one of these and take it apart.

Has this already been attempted?
    Interesting, no wires good price...rf puck to the wrist. Instead of disassembling you might just cut off the band and mount it on the glove box with silicone. Keep us advised. Remember to mount the puck so that it is parallel with the water bottom. After looking at a bigger picture it looks like the puck was designed to be mounted outside the boat since the bottom is rounded. This would not be viable for a jet ski.
    Last edited by lafjax; 06-16-2008 at 11:54 AM.

I was thinking that I would just leave the watch as is. I would wear it on my wrist.

As far as the buck I think there may be two options and I can probably try them both. 1) Leave the sensor as is and simply attempt to epoxy it inside the hull. If that don't work well then 2) open the sensors and remove it from the enclose. I am pretty sure that it's simply RF circuitry with maybe a microprocessor and a transducer. To keep the electronics from become weak from all the vibration I could dip them in epoxy to seal them in. This is something I've done before when mounting electronics on vehicles. I would leave the transducer exposed and epoxy it to the hull just as you did.

The only difference between what I have in mind and what you have done is that my display is wireless.

That's the idea anyways. I have to get permission from my wife to buy a $80 depth finder with the intentions of destroying it.

I was thinking that I would just leave the watch as is. I would wear it on my wrist.

As far as the buck I think there may be two options and I can probably try them both. 1) Leave the sensor as is and simply attempt to epoxy it inside the hull. If that don't work well then 2) open the sensors and remove it from the enclose. I am pretty sure that it's simply RF circuitry with maybe a microprocessor and a transducer. To keep the electronics from become weak from all the vibration I could dip them in epoxy to seal them in. This is something I've done before when mounting electronics on vehicles. I would leave the transducer exposed and epoxy it to the hull just as you did.

The only difference between what I have in mind and what you have done is that my display is wireless.

That's the idea anyways. I have to get permission from my wife to buy a $80 depth finder with the intentions of destroying it.
    Sounds like a winner!! I especially like the wireless approach. Keep us updated!!

http://store.humminbird.com/sonar/sm...d406280-1.html

Looking closer at the manual it seems that this thing is about the size of a large fishing bobber and is intended to be used the same way. I was thinking that it was larger.

The only thing I am worried about is that the sonar may not be powerful enough to go though the fiberglass. There is only one way to find out if this is going to work.

http://store.humminbird.com/sonar/sm...d406280-1.html

Looking closer at the manual it seems that this thing is about the size of a large fishing bobber and is intended to be used the same way. I was thinking that it was larger.

The only thing I am worried about is that the sonar may not be powerful enough to go though the fiberglass. There is only one way to find out if this is going to work.
    Yep, that is an issue. That's why it's made to work outside the hull. You might try contacting hummingbird's customer support and ask the question if it can be used for thru-hull soundings. Also, speed is an issue with a jetski. Will it register fast enough to give you accurate readings at 65 mph. The Norcross Marine one does...

Thread Information