Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 250X Gas Consumption - Surreal - Help

My 2007 250X is consuming gas (93 octane) like no tomorrow.
    To be honest, I could care less about the cost of gas/ operating exp...
    The issue is that am really getting annoyed with the constant fill-ups.
    The boat is awesome -I absolutely love it/ fantastic performance...
    Its just that I feel like I am standing over my ski holding a red 5 gallon jug of gas all of the time...almost comical.

My 2007 250X has the following mods/ toys (50 Hours):
    Riva Free Flow Exhaust
    Riva Sponsons
    Riva Ride Plate
    Riva Performance Power Filter Kit
    Riva Bypass Upgrade Kit
    R-Rated Valve Cover Block-Offs
    R&D Intake Grate
    R&D Crankcase/ Vapor Separator Kit
    R&D Intercooler Temp Control Upgrade Kit
    R&D Deep Fuel Pick-up
    R&D Pump Shoe Seal Kit
    TBM Steering Kit (Base Kit & Riser Kit with Star Bar)
    New Spark Plugs every 20 hours
    Oil Change every 15 hours or four months (whichever comes 1st)
    No GIO as far as I can tell

Riding conditions/ environment:
    Texas - Fresh and Saltwater
    Air Temps mostly in 90s
    Water Temps mostly in low 80s
    Glass to small chop

Questions:
    1.) Is there a product that will help with this crazy fuel consumtion?
    I recall a thread about maybe using the 2008 250X ECU?
    Is that a possibility?
    2.) Would using an aftermarket Fuel Control/ Powershot type product help?
    3.) Would installing R&D High Flow Fuel Injector Kit help?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/ advice

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    What kind of mileage are you getting?

Mileage

Not sure what my range/ gas mileage is...
    Maybe a 2 to 2.5 Hours of riding...crusing around 30 MPH
    I just know it is bad

gas

Do you still have the original spark plugs it came with? Im assuming not seeing that you have 50hrs. My ski was unreal at sucking the gas when i first got it. Around 10 hours the plugs gave up on me. I put a new set of plugs in and now my ski is doing alot better. I have 20hrs on it now with a few mods. I went from burning 17-18 gallons of fuel within 2 1/2 hours of playing around to just around half a tank. It is pretty hard on the fuel but i expected that being the beast it is. Good luck.

I live in the Austin area and the lake temperatures are a little cooler but even so; My fuel consumption is very high when I am at WOT or I accelerate hard and stay into the boost. Anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 hours is the best the fuel will last for me. I generally stop playing about 10 minutes after the fuel buzzer sounds.
    What I have notice is: If I want fuel economy, I try and stay out of the engaging any boost from the turbo and I have ran for ~5 hour or so. Also, my daughter is 11 and when I ride and she drives; her speed varies and she maybe hits 43ish tops but she will accelerate a little harder and of course between us we weight ~ 285Lbs. We ran this past weekend at Lake Travis and got about 4 hours. Conditions were very choppy so she was on and off of the throttle riding the chop. Also, I took it out a few times alone and was WOT most of the time. ~10 -15 min max. So ~ 4 hours on the lake this weekend was good…
    Hope this give you another point of reference for fuel consumption.
    Joe

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
    I live in the Austin area and the lake temperatures are a little cooler but even so; My fuel consumption is very high when I am at WOT or I accelerate hard and stay into the boost. Anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 hours is the best the fuel will last for me. I generally stop playing about 10 minutes after the fuel buzzer sounds.
    What I have notice is: If I want fuel economy, I try and stay out of the engaging any boost from the turbo and I have ran for ~5 hour or so. Also, my daughter is 11 and when I ride and she drives; her speed varies and she maybe hits 43ish tops but she will accelerate a little harder and of course between us we weight ~ 285Lbs. We ran this past weekend at Lake Travis and got about 4 hours. Conditions were very choppy so she was on and off of the throttle riding the chop. Also, I took it out a few times alone and was WOT most of the time. ~10 -15 min max. So ~ 4 hours on the lake this weekend was good…
    Hope this give you another point of reference for fuel consumption.
    Joe
    1.5 - 2.5 hours of fun sounds about normal.....

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    The way the Fuel gauge reads the fuel it burns @ 1/3 of a tank before it starts to drop bars,it burns @ 1 gallon to each bar after that @ 1/3,then when the buzzers goes off you have @ 7 gallons left ,@ 1/3 (thats kinda how you should manage your fuel, 1/3 out 1/3rd in and a 1/3 for emercency), , WITH OUT the R&D fuel extender you will only be able to get to @ 5 gallons of the seven that are left.

I did get 82 miles (gps)on a full tank with the Fuel extender, I ran it completely out and refilled it with 22.14 gallons, some WOT and a lot of 6500- to 7500 RPMs long runs and some playing around.............

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    The way the Fuel gauge reads the fuel it burns @ 1/3 of a tank before it starts to drop bars,it burns @ 1 gallon to each bar after that @ 1/3,then when the buzzers goes off you have @ 7 gallons left ,@ 1/3 (thats kinda how you should manage your fuel, 1/3 out 1/3rd in and a 1/3 for emercency)...
    I think TN has been right on with this analysis from the beginning. Yes, all these performance skis burn fuel. But you gotta pay to play. The rate of consumption has been well documented for a long time. Its something to consider when buying any performance or supercharged ski. If you want better fuel economy, you have to compromise with a step down in performance. There are a lot of models to choose from with different features, strengths and weaknesses.

The SHO's ability to run on regular gas may be a big advantage for some, especially for those of us who run in places where about all you can get on the water is 87.

The way I deal with the fuel consumption is by carrying extra premium, stashing some jugs at friend's places and studying exactly how far to every little marina along all routes. Also, mix up the speeds and adjust my expectations as to how long I can play on the water on any given day.

I thought for a while that carrying a bottle of octane boost to add to marina regular was an easy answer but most here seem to think the boost products are next to worthless. One guy here mentioned adding acetone as booster but I never heard any corroboration.

The only answer I have is to buy a 15F.. During the week I always burn 12-15 gallons going out after work, riding the same distance and even messing around more my buddy only burns 7-8 gallons, I'm always 5 gallons or more higher.. They are real pigs no doubt.

Update - Fuel consumption

I appreciate everyones feedback - many thanks
    Sounds like there is not much we can do to extend mileage.
    I will try changing the plugs again...see if that helps.

Like I said - love the performance and would never give-up on the 250X..
    Just tired of having to fill-her-up all of the time... /:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information