maintenance light on a 1997 gtx

A friend of mine has a GTX and teh damn maintenance light came on or flashing what can cause that? also it runs and pulls then dies.

it ran WONDERFUL then one day just started acting up

when we first got the ski it didnt run we had to replace fuel likes clean carbs new filters and clean rave valve we run SEADOO oil only

any ideas guys

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra150nc View Post
    also it runs and pulls then dies.
    Did anyone have any idea to pull the spark plugs when one of the multiple times that it died...to tell what is actually going on?

You guys kill me. Anytime you have a problem pull the spark plugs. They will always tell you what you are missing. It's much easier than getting on here asking us...

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Did anyone have any idea to pull the spark plugs when one of the multiple times that it died...to tell what is actually going on?

You guys kill me. Anytime you have a problem pull the spark plugs. They will always tell you what you are missing. It's much easier than getting on here asking us...

dude, thats why we get on here MAYBE some has an issuse that close to mine. sorry were not as smart as you, ill be sure to find you and ask you for info again if i want a dick anwser.

THANKS FOR YOUR USELESS INFO. hope your shit blows up and no one helps you.

dude, thats why we get on here MAYBE some has an issuse that close to mine. sorry were not as smart as you, ill be sure to find you and ask you for info again if i want a dick anwser.

THANKS FOR YOUR USELESS INFO. hope your shit blows up and no one helps you.
    This is the typical response from an Ultra rider.

Good luck remaining ignorant so you can always ask others instead of diagnosing it yourself...

If you say so,

Sorry my Water Craft technical ability is not up to par with yours.
    I will be sure to add a paddle to my buddies ski and we can call it "PLAN B"
    now i can pull my plugs out, and do absolutely noughting it. but the good news is we got a paddle to help retrieve the ski back to the dock as i sit and can only thank you for the BEST diagnosis skills on the planet. you should write a book. YOUR THAT GOOD.

+1
    the maint light comes on every 50 hours automatically. i think you can reset it by holding 'mode' and 'set' together for 5 seconds.

as for the ski problems, sounds like you need to repalce the fuel lines, rebuild the carbs. do a search, there is lots of info on this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    the maint light comes on every 50 hours automatically. i think you can reset it by holding 'mode' and 'set' together for 5 seconds.

as for the ski problems, sounds like you need to repalce the fuel lines, rebuild the carbs. do a search, there is lots of info on this.

JayZ,

Thanks for the info. we found the little fuel filters in the carbs that we missed when rebuilding them. Thanks for your help

If you say so,

Sorry my Water Craft technical ability is not up to par with yours.
    I will be sure to add a paddle to my buddies ski and we can call it "PLAN B"
    now i can pull my plugs out, and do absolutely noughting it. but the good news is we got a paddle to help retrieve the ski back to the dock as i sit and can only thank you for the BEST diagnosis skills on the planet. you should write a book. YOUR THAT GOOD.
    Here's a little help, for the next time on the water...

Spark Plugs 101-

Two strokes are the easiest to diagnose. They need air, fuel, and spark to make them go boom. Pulling the spark plugs on a troubled engine will always tell you where to look.

Dry= no fuel
    Wet= no spark or excessive fuel
    Black= fouled from excessive fuel or oil

Testing/dialing fuel mixture can only be done at wot. Run the engine a good 10 seconds at wot (if you are sure the mixture is close, less if the first time out), snatch the lanyard, pull the plugs and inspect them. Look at the porcelin on the sides. They should be chocolate brown in color. Lighter is lean, darker is too rich. Too rich kills max rpms and wastes fuel. As long as it's chocolate, you are good.

If you guys want us to read your plugs, take your camera out with you on the water. A new set of plugs needs some time to color up.

Find the link for downloading the Mikuni Carb Manual on the site. We've posted it many times. It has excellent low speed tuning and then dialing in the high speed mixture, and a complete breakdown of all carb internals.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Here's a little help, for the next time on the water...

Spark Plugs 101-

Two strokes are the easiest to diagnose. They need air, fuel, and spark to make them go boom. Pulling the spark plugs on a troubled engine will always tell you where to look.

Dry= no fuel
    Wet= no spark or excessive fuel
    Black= fouled from excessive fuel or oil

Testing/dialing fuel mixture can only be done at wot. Run the engine a good 10 seconds at wot (if you are sure the mixture is close, less if the first time out), snatch the lanyard, pull the plugs and inspect them. Look at the porcelin on the sides. They should be chocolate brown in color. Lighter is lean, darker is too rich. Too rich kills max rpms and wastes fuel. As long as it's chocolate, you are good.

If you guys want us to read your plugs, take your camera out with you on the water. A new set of plugs needs some time to color up.

Find the link for downloading the Mikuni Carb Manual on the site. We've posted it many times. It has excellent low speed tuning and then dialing in the high speed mixture, and a complete breakdown of all carb internals.
    Thank you for talking the time to explan that to me as well as anyone who will benefit from this in the future to your explanation on 2 stroke tuneing.

as far as the ski goes got it running, turns out the selector swich is junk in the craft so we by passsed the enitire selector system and ran it to RES. line. with all new fuel lines. Ski runs wonderful now also got ride of the bogging isssuse.

Thanks for all the help guys

Glad you got her fixed.

Another thing to add to a wot throttle chop. DO NOT let off the gas, and then kill the engine. Pick a place on the lake you can coast safely to a stop and not be in the way of traffic when you pull the plugs for inspection. You need a read of the actual combustion chamber temp under wot, and letting off the gas kills this read.

Just like Vaulk posted pics of his plugs after he got home and idled in. It's irrelevant, because it wasn't under actual conditions.

Hope this helps. Plugs are like a road map to your engine. They'll eliminate alot of headaches if you take the time to look at them.

Thread Information