Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Was the wool pulled over my eyes?

I recently (last week) purchased a 96' SLT780 from an older couple who were the original owners. It has 30 hours which they said was accurate. The last time it had been in water was in 2002 so of course I put a new battery and spark plugs in it but couldn't get it to fire up. So I was referred to a gentleman by several boat shops and took it to him. He said first and foremost it needed a fuel pump upgrade(cost$170) because he said the original pumps in the slt780 worked okay for the first year and then after that were very inefficient. He also said it definitley needed the carbs douched out which I would agree and the fuel system needed to be gone through top to bottom.
    First question, is 30 hours low for a 96'? Second is the whole fuel pump issue true? Third is the work mentioned above worth $600-$700 for a shop with a $75/hour labor rate okay? Fourth is there anything I need to know about this boat whether it be maintenance or past known problems because I've never owned one before however I am mechanically able to do pretty much anything.
    Any help would be awesome!! Thanks!

the 780 had the upgraded pump from the factory I would do the carbs and inspect / replace fuel lines and selector valves , filters etc 400 would be close to fair 30 hrs? the mdf easily could have reset itself look at wear and tear
    Last edited by ZMANN; 05-29-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Ask for your old pump back!

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    the 780 had the upgraded pump from the factory I would do the carbs and inspect / replace fuel lines and selector valves , filters etc 400 would be close to fair 30 hrs? the mdf easily could have reset itself look at wear and tear
    So your saying it already has the updated pump that the guy is trying to tell me it needs and sold me?
    The ski is in pristine condition and I mean pristine! It honestly looks like it is right out of the crate, there are just a few scratches on the bottom side of the hull which you have to get up clos to see and I could not find any scratches on the top of the ski. You can tell it was always garaged because there is no fading anywhere on it.

Is there a big difference as far as looks between the old pump and the new pump? Because the one that is on the ski looks identical to the one shown on the schematic you posted.

No He ripped you off! the older Polaris had a lame round pump! the 780 had the pentagon HV pump! the Mechanic you used lied ! As I doubt someone had swapped the pump to a lesser one earlier

Well not exactly what I wanted to hear but I really do apprecite you taking the time to answer some questions for me! Maybe if I call the guy and act like I know what I'm talking about and tell him something like,"Hey Jerry I was doing some research and it looks like the 96' SLT should already have the new and improved pump, are you sure it's going to need replacing" he might say yeah your right I'm wrong and save myself $170 + the BS labor he was going to charge to install this imaginary pump!

I'll give you my Phone # if u want [ut him on the phone with me , And for future , always get your old parts back! ps that pump can be rebuilt for 15 dollars!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    that pump can be rebuilt for 15 dollars!
    That's what I was thinking.....

Welcome to the hulk. Too bad you found us too late. You could've done the fuel lines yourself and saved some $$$$. The carbs should be gone through just for good measure.

Sounds like the mechanic knew about Polaris fuel issues, but CONVENIENTLY forgot about the pump rebuild, rather than replacement.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    More then likely he knew they had a upgraded triple output pump,but didn't know that the pentagon pump puts out plenty of fuel.(more then the round style).
    Welcome your home now,get that ski back,and let's fix it together with the crew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information