Superchgr life expcy in boats

I have a 06 Sportster SCIC, with the upgraded supercharger/clutch assembly. Does anyone know what the life expectancy would be for these boats. They're not nearly as hard on the clutches as the PWC's because they stay IN the water almost 100% of the time, always "hooked up". It seems to me that with little-to-no splippage would translate into long clutch life. I'm at about 100 perfect running hours so far.

You are partially right/wrong.

Boats do keep most of their time the pump loaded and hooked, (if you don't jump waves) but there is absolutely no warranty you could not break the ceramics anytime....i got a friend with an 06 C180 that blown the washers away while riding 'peacefully' at only 15 hours...!!!

Remove that a.s.a.p is my advice, and BTW....at 100 hours you should really be looking at having your whole supercharger be completely rebuilted.....bearings are needed near of each 100 hours or so...do not forget that a bearing that fails can cause way much more damage that a cermaic blow out....

Fan scrapped, housing damaged seriously, potential S/C shaft breakage, loose part of bearing or gear could drop down the engine base.....and worse....do some great damage to the engine base...

Price of new bearings+metal washers at every 100 hours is nothing compared to a destroyed engine...!!! Be precautious...have it done while it is still ok.

following the posted advice, it will probably will last longer than the irresistable desire to slap a rude or x charger on!

Quote Originally Posted by vmx12c View Post
    I have a 06 Sportster SCIC, with the upgraded supercharger/clutch assembly. Does anyone know what the life expectancy would be for these boats. They're not nearly as hard on the clutches as the PWC's because they stay IN the water almost 100% of the time, always "hooked up". It seems to me that with little-to-no splippage would translate into long clutch life. I'm at about 100 perfect running hours so far.
    What does "the upgraded supercharger?clutch assembly" mean??? If you already had the washers changed out then the answers you recieved should be different Unfortunately I don't know but would hope for more than 100 hours on the SC

Im rebuilding my SC every 100 hrs. Its not so much the washers its the bearings spinning 45000 Rpm all the time. The bearings go you'll still be screwed. I just do it for piece of mind.

100 hours is the max bearing expectancy....past that you are playing with fire...! Don't come and say we didn't told you after.

so i came across this at another fourm what do you guys think i thought all 08 came with steel washers

2008 Sport Boats DO NOT HAVE titanium coated stell washers! ONLY the 2008 personal watercraft have titanium coated steel washers in the superchargers. There are no exceptions or running changes from the factory, if it is a 2008 sport boat then it has ceramic washers in ALL of the supercharged engines. One fact you might be interested in is that we have NEVER have a sport boat supercharger failure, we have had several PWC failures typically on RXP models that have been ridden in the ocean where the operator did not practice throttle management while airborne. If you use Captain skills while operating your 150 Speedster SCIC the ceramic washers will be fine. Just back off the throttle a little while airborne and the ceramic washers will last for years.

Kingsland Marine
    Last edited by ryanlberg; 06-02-2008 at 07:48 PM.

One fact you might be interested in is that we have NEVER have a sport boat supercharger failure, we have had several PWC failures typically on RXP models that have been ridden in the ocean where the operator did not practice throttle management while airborne. If you use Captain skills while operating your 150 Speedster SCIC the ceramic washers will be fine. Just back off the throttle a little while airborne and the ceramic washers will last for years.
    BWWWAAAHAHAHA!!!

I'm not sure if the 08 boats have ceramic or not but you can be guaranteed that there are many boats, some with very few hours, that blow the ceramics just like the RXP.
    When I replaced my ceramic washers with metal I was actually able break one in half with only minor pressure from my fingers, WTF!!!

If I were buying an 08 Seadoo boat I would be forced pull the supercharger to check the washers before even I started it.

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    My washers were slipping so badly at 6hr's that 7400rpm was max! I am sure they would have broken if I hadn't changed them out, plus the dealer here had no clue about ANY washer failure's on pwc's or boats? There is alot of actual 'experience' on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanlberg
    so i came across this at another fourm what do you guys think i thought all 08 came with steel washers
    True the first boats didn't, but go to the BRP's parts site now and you'll see that the boat and ski superchargers have the exact same part number now. I wouldn't expect a dealer to know that, though.

Thread Information