Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why did this seizure happen?

My Venture 1100 seized up over a year ago and I finally decided to fix it. I pulled the head and discovered this nastiness...WTF? The ski has over 200 hours on it with probally 20 of them on my watch!! The middle piston has parts of the rings on top of it and the right looks like Satan's ass. Someone tell me WTF happened here. Hopefully I can load pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	75387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	068.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	75388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	069.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	75389  

injection or premix? From the pics it seems like you ran the engine way too long after you had a problem. The cause: with 200 hours and prob no carb rebuild? I am guessing oil line fell off or went lean and blew up. I would think more on the lean side. It is very uncomon for two oil lines to fall off. Just my .02 cents.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    injection or premix? From the pics it seems like you ran the engine way too long after you had a problem. The cause: with 200 hours and prob no carb rebuild? I am guessing oil line fell off or went lean and blew up. I would think more on the lean side. It is very uncomon for two oil lines to fall off. Just my .02 cents.
    +1 and the salt corrosion looks worse on cylinders one & two. The previous owner did not flush it properly IMHO. It also appears there has been water sitting in the cylinder, rust on the cylinder walls.
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 05-29-2008 at 09:52 PM.

+1
    ouch

I see corrosion on the head gasket sealing surface! that tells me you had a head gasket failure at first glance!! I will keep looking Z

Yeah the water jackets do look bad. I, of course flushed it every time I rode it and I am friends with the original owners. This ski ran flawlessly until the last ten minutes of life. I was within sight of the dock and it would shut off only to crank back up within a couple of minutes. This cycle happened about a dozen times. Brought it home to flush and while running it just locked up.

It is oil injected still...but will not be in the future!

The former owners replaced the carbs according to them to the tune of $1000 in 03 or 04 instead of rebuilding them. Dunno?

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    +1 and the salt corrosion looks worse on cylinders one & two. The previous owner did not flush it properly IMHO. It also appears there has been water sitting in the cylinder, rust on the cylinder walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    ouch

+1 wow! A lot of work ahead of you.

New top end and don't forget to get the bottoms checked too. If you said you siezed it that many times then put it on the hose, I would def get that crank and connecting rods checked.
    Last edited by krispaintballz; 05-29-2008 at 10:02 PM.

That wasn't done in ten minutes, you had a ticking time bomb on your hands. God only knows what the crank must look like!!

cake walk!! don't sweat it ! head is toast , find a cylinder bank , crank and go from there

Yeah it sucks to be me. I was taking the head off to send off to get shaved and holy hell, I opened up Pandora's friggin box. That motor looks like crap but not because of me. The rust on the cylinder walls may be because the water was still running when it seized up... that in conjuction with too many cold beers I will completely rebuild this motor and not cut any corners. I was kind of leaning towards a rebuilt short block but I decided against it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information