SHO production problem with starter?

Well I was not able to pick up my Cruiser SHO this weekend as the dealer was not able to get it re-started after their prep. I had to leave and wait for a replacement which should be in next week. So in talking with my dealer about the replacement I asked if they figured out the problem. He said that Yamaha had a production problem with the starter and that a few SHOs made it out before they found the problem. He indicated that it was holding up the other SHOs he has on order as well. That is all he said, so just thought I would pass this along. Anyone else heard this before?

-- Bob

Outstanding forum site BTW, I have already learned a ton. It will most likely lead to spending more money however

Just want to ride.
    +1

Starter Issue

Hello Bob,

Saw and responded to your post on the other forum as well. This was a bit of a problem at first for the early (Feb) released SHOs; Yamaha held back production to correct the issue and is just now getting the revised version to the dealers. If you get the time, check out some of the other posts here - guys are reporting some pretty good out of the box speeds, and this is THE forum for the performance gurus. As fast as you want, you'll get the advice here........

Funny note at Condottas - the 2 techs were surprised by me walking up and peeking at 'your' SHO; there was something wrong, but they didn't want to admit to it when I was standing there - but you know how you can read somebody......

Hope you get your replacement soon - I'm sure you're going to be a happy guy!

I live/ride the west side mostly - Lake Washington as often as I can. Family has a place on the S. Shore of Chelan, so we were up for the Holiday weekend.

Hope to see you on the lake!
    Sean

Hey Sean,

I thought the problem with the Feburary machines was the coupler? Anyway, I thought perhaps this is a different issue...

I know what you mean, I could tell by the techs body language something was not right when I walked up to check out the SHO. Sounds like another one is on the way so just 2 weekends missed

Yea, great site with lots of info. I am thinking about the RIVA intake and perhaps the exhaust. I would like to hear it first as I try not to disrupt the neighbors if I can...

I own a place on Lake Chelan on the S. shore as well. We try to get up when we can. See you on the lake.

-- Bob

there was another guy down here that had the same issue. It started at the dealer, then he took it home and it was dead. I think it was some sort of starter issue.

Sounds like the same problem. I am glad I didn't get it home to find this out. What a bummer. Do they have to pull the engine to put on a new starter?

I think I will give the dealer an extra day to make sure it will start several times before picking up the next one...

Just want to ride.
    +1

Problem

Hello Bob,

You're right - the reports of issues were pertaining to the driveline coupler coming apart under no load - not a starter issue. I think I got my wires crossed a little reading about the coupler, starter gear, etc. and the possibility of the problem keeping the ski from restarting after the coupler 'uncoupled'.

I'll have to keep in touch with you - keep us posted when you get your ski! We're coming back up the 14th/15th for the weekend, and I'll probably bring one of my GPRs to ride. If you're there/have the ski, we'll have to meet up!

Take care,
    Sean

Sean,

PM sent.

Thread Information