Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Guys??

+1

Guitar Guys??

My son wants to step up from his Squire and get into a Gibson Studio or something of that sort. You guys have any suggestions?
    He's been playing for about 6 months, practices about an hour a day and wants more.
    I don't want to buy another GUITAR AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN NEXT WEEK. I want something that should last him a year or two.
    Who here plays??

I played off an on for about 18 years or so.... Recently sold off my Gibson SG's and Line 6 amps to buy a bass and bass amp, needed a change! Cant go wrong with Line 6 amps, as for guitars.... unless your a pro, and you NEED to spend a lot of money, stick with the Squires and Epiphones for beginners, there made by Fender and Gibson anyway... But if you must, I highly suggest Les Paul...

+1
    Coolio maaaaan!!
    He found a 10 year old clean Gibson Studio in wine red with the Santa Fe pick ups and some other upgrades for 800 bucks so I was thinking not bad considering an epiphone is 750 plus tax.
    I'm big on Made in the USA and since the US has the guitar thing down pretty good I figured skip the epiphones and go USA made Gibson??
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 05-30-2008 at 02:20 PM.

+1
    You need to take him to a guitar shop and get him to try a few different ones. I know some people that cannot play the neck on a Les Paul but are more suited to a real strat or telecaster. It can go either way but you have to find what suits him and what feels natural to play.

Sometimes less is more. You don't have to have the most expensive guitar, you should have what suits you best.

+1
    Understood.
    He's been dragging me to guitar centers for a month and playing for hours on different guitar makes and models. He definately likes the epiphones and Les Pauls hands down. He certainly sounds more confident with those two versus the Fender line although the Jaguar was pretty nice.
    He tells me he can even "feel" the difference between the guitars (same make and model) and the way they play.
    He was O.K. with the epiphone (can't remember the model) but I really rather have made in the U.S., hence the favoring of the Gibson.

+1
    Don't limit yourself to the big names either. I have a friend that is quite an accomplished player and his main guitars are ESP.
    Here is his website:

www.thephilxshow.com

+1
    Hmmmnnn, I hadn't seen them anywhere we've been.
    Great link, I'll pass it on to Conrad.

+1
    What about Washburn Guitars i think there still made right here in Chicagoland somewhere i know they make guitars for some big time bands .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Great link, I'll pass it on to Conrad.
    Phil is one of the best musicians and nicest people you could meet in that business. I was a tech for a live sound company for 5 years and was in the bar business for ten in live venues. I met hundreds of guitar players and he was by far the best an most talented.
    When Rik Emmet left Triumph, Phil took his place and arguably raised the bar on the complexity of the playing.

Guitar

What kind of music does he play? I have a cheap Yamaha acoustic to practice banging out chords. I have a Les Paul Standard and Marshall JCM 800 for playing with friends in bands.

We play metal and detuned stuff.

Some of the bands we like are Deftones, Tool, Clutch, Nirvana, AIC, Faith No More, classic rock and old school punk-Dead Kennedys, Fugazi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information