Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

boggs and stalls when throttled fast.

This has to be something common. Although i didn't really find any threads where anyone had the exact symptoms.

So everything about my ski is fine EXCEPT. If i full throttle it fast it will bog and stall out instantly. If i ease into the throttle it'll sputter a lil, but come right up to speed. Always happens, hot or cold. Even after cleaning out the carb filters, changing the fuel filter, and getting rid of the Grey fuel lines. (Got rid of the grey fuel lines before i cleaned/changed all the filters)

Pulled my rave valves and inspected/cleaned them. And my pump is clean and free of debris. And the wear ring looks perfect.

Any ideas??

accel pump setting maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by 1996XP View Post
    This has to be something common. Although i didn't really find any threads where anyone had the exact symptoms.

So everything about my ski is fine EXCEPT. If i full throttle it fast it will bog and stall out instantly. If i ease into the throttle it'll sputter a lil, but come right up to speed. Always happens, hot or cold. Even after cleaning out the carb filters, changing the fuel filter, and getting rid of the Grey fuel lines. (Got rid of the grey fuel lines before i cleaned/changed all the filters)

Pulled my rave valves and inspected/cleaned them. And my pump is clean and free of debris. And the wear ring looks perfect.

Any ideas??

i ran into the SAME problem with my friends ski its turns out the RES swtich was clogged so we just by passed it hes how to do it.

Pull the switch out and it will be labled find the line that says RES pull it off and trace it to the pick up on top on the tank, then run New lines from auto zone or such from the pickup at the tank to the fuel filter and then fuel filter stright to the carbs. if it fixes it then you know its clogged! hope that helps. like i said my friends ski did the SAME THING then we tried this and it fixed the bogging issuse

+1
    do u guys think thats whats wrong with my xpl....it works great for riding on and off for bout 3 hours then it starts bogging and doesnt send fuel thorught the primer either

Quote Originally Posted by ultra150nc View Post
    i ran into the SAME problem with my friends ski its turns out the RES swtich was clogged so we just by passed it hes how to do it.

Pull the switch out and it will be labled find the line that says RES pull it off and trace it to the pick up on top on the tank, then run New lines from auto zone or such from the pickup at the tank to the fuel filter and then fuel filter stright to the carbs. if it fixes it then you know its clogged! hope that helps. like i said my friends ski did the SAME THING then we tried this and it fixed the bogging issuse

Hmmm interesting. Or i guess i could blow out the switch with some carb cleaner. If the reserve part of the fuel switch is clogged, but i'm not using reserve, will it still cause issues??
    Last edited by 1996XP; 05-30-2008 at 07:33 PM.

easiest why to find out is get a descent sized inline filter and disconnect the in and out from the switch and connect them with the filter bypassing the switch completely and run it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996XP View Post
    Hmmm interesting. Or i guess i could blow out the switch with some carb cleaner. If the reserve part of the fuel switch is clogged, but i'm not using reserve, will it still cause issues??
    There is a rubber sleeve inside that cuts off fuel flow when you turn it. When it slips out of place, ON gets restricted but RES allows fuel flow. I never turn my gas off. Best thing to do on your 96 is always ride on reserve. Because when riding in the chop it can get starved for fuel even with 3-4 bars left in the tank. RES picks it up off the bottom, where it doesn't get starved.

Is your ski completely stock? If so it sounds like your low speed settings are too lean. 1+1/4 out (bottom screws) is normal for lows. If already at this setting check the mica (clear check valves) in the fuel pump block mounted on the front carb. Also check to make sure the pulse line is not cracked or loose connection.

Quote Originally Posted by rxp127 View Post
    do u guys think thats whats wrong with my xpl....it works great for riding on and off for bout 3 hours then it starts bogging and doesnt send fuel thorught the primer either
    List your mods and where you have the primer tee installed.

+1
    its a complete stock boat i just have a jet works flow control valve and i have flame arrestors...

Quote Originally Posted by rxp127 View Post
    its a complete stock boat i just have a jet works flow control valve and i have flame arrestors...
    Hopefully you rejetted the carbs when you added flame arrestors?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information