Removing Rub Rails

I'm trying to paint my rub rails on my boat but it's such a pain in the ass to keep the overspray off the rest of the boat, obviously. How are the rub rails removed? It appears the front bumper is riveted in a few places; do I just drill them out? I will then assume stainless steel rivets are needed to reinstall them? Are there any other methods?

Hey, I painted my rub rails still on the ski... I sanded them lightly with fine grit sand paper to rough them up a bit, taped the hull, top and bottom around the rails with 2 inch tape, and used black Krylon Plastic Spray Paint, 2 coats, hour in between. Worked great... Heres a pic on mine... they used to be that ugly purple....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	75498  

+1
    Yes drill the heads off the rivets and punch the stem out. Aluminum rivets to reinstall. That thing running yet????

Not yet. I need to get spark plugs and charge up the new battery. Should have it running this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    Hey, I painted my rub rails still on the ski... I sanded them lightly with fine grit sand paper to rough them up a bit, taped the hull, top and bottom around the rails with 2 inch tape, and used black Krylon Plastic Spray Paint, 2 coats, hour in between. Worked great... Heres a pic on mine... they used to be that ugly purple....

did you paint the hull and everything then too.....the red isnt stock is it....

yeah the red hull was stock........also painted the compartment hood, the rear grab bar, and handlebar pad, all the same method, just different paint... had to, they all looked horrible when i got it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    yeah the red hull was stock........also painted the compartment hood, the rear grab bar, and handlebar pad, all the same method, just different paint... had to, they all looked horrible when i got it...

wow what type of paint did you use on the handle bar cover......it didnt chip at all???? The rub rails havent rubbed off at all either??

nope, not single chip or anything thus far on either....took it out today, and hit the side of the dock one time pretty hard, its holding up pretty good! As for the handlebar pad I used oil based industrial enamel Dark Red by Rust Oleum.... Brushed on three very light coats, in between letting it try completely for about 24 hours... the oil paint sorta soaks into the pad, work out great! The pad before was VERY sun faded and rough....

Thread Information