99 genesis fight stalling

99 polaris genesis ficht runs fine for maybe 10 minutes then stalls and dies like no fuel. cranks right back up and runs fine for a minute or two then dies again. Sometimes will crank back up immediately and sometimes not. Sometimes it will run for 30 seconds or less. No indications on mfi. Didn't check fuel pressure, but with fuel line off it will fill a quart jar in a few seconds. Electrical board was recently replaced. Injectors are clicking and seem to be working fine. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Possibly the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is failing.

If it is giving incorrect signals to the EMM, the engine will run erratically.

+1
    You may have a stator issue .When it gets hot the wire breaks contact .when it is cool it connects again .Will have to pin the stator out when it fails and see if that is your issue
    All values and tests are in the manual downloads section

Bernie

does the tps have 3 wires going into it? after new start with daylight, i found that the wires going into what i think is the tps (located aft end of throttle assembly) are melted together. would this cause the ski to die after running for a while?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wmwbutler View Post
    does the tps have 3 wires going into it?
    after new start with daylight, i found that the wires going into what i think is the tps (located aft end of throttle assembly) are melted together.
    would this cause the ski to die after running for a while?
    Photo?

Melted from external heat, or from a short circuit within?

TPS does have three wires, and a connector a few inches from the sensor. The TPS is mounted onto the opposite end of the throttle shaft from where the throttle cable is.

Think that i found the problem. removed the thermostat and it was terrible looking and not working. Engine never overheated, but i think that the EMM was starving for cooling water and stopping the engine when it got hot. Removed the thermostat and ran it yesterday for approximately an hour with no problems. Does it need the thermostat? I have read somewhere that the 1200 runs better without it. Thanks.

Is the thermostat needed? How about the pop-up valve and what does it do?

+1
    Check for a kink in the small cooling hose that feeds the cooling of the electrical stator, and the EMM. In my 2002 Virage TXi, the small hose was incorrectly installed, and the cooling water flow to the stator cover was quite restricted. See photo.

Also, the water bar thermostat housing can get plugged up, especially with salt water use, or running in water that has silt or sand.

Salt water pictures attached. This ski was supposedly flushed after riding, but apparently the back flushing doesn't always get everything, especially if the flush pressure is too low to open the spring valve.

My understanding of the cooling system design is that the spring loaded plastic valve reduces water flow at low speeds, which reduces the amount of water flow cooling the engine. As speed rises, the pressure from the jet pump inlet increases, pushes the spring down, and water flow increases.

In parallel, the thermostat senses the exit water temperature. As the water temp rises, the thermostat opens, allowing cooling water flow, even at low engine speeds.

At high speeds, you always have full water flow due to the water pressure opening the spring valve (unless it is stuck shut). At low engine speeds, you want the thermostat to open and close to maintain a decent operating temperature for the engine.

If you remove either the thermostat or the spring valve (or both), you will have unrestricted water flow at all engine speeds. If the water you ride in is warm (Florida), it probably doesn't make a difference. If you ride in relatively cold water (places that have snow in winter), then you probably want to keep the system working as designed, so the engine is not overcooled, which can cause problems.

Cooling water flow to the stator cover and EMM is always 100%, but is limited by the smaller hose sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5129899.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	75828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149959.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	75829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149956b.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	75830  

Thread Information