Question Man, I was hoping this wouldn't happen so soon...

...I have already gotten the bug, you know, the one that makes you want to go terminal velocity!

I know almost all of you have crazy knowledge about these skis, and all of you have some sort of go-fast goody/mod done to your ski, so I am ready to get some advice on what I should do first. I am skilled enough to do almost anything, except machine work and any press-work that might need to be done (pressed in/on bearing races, press-fit wrist-pins, etc.), so I am not too worried about being able to do it myself. Since the engine still has low hours, I don't want to open it up right now, but I am interested in things like; impellers, air filters, pipes, water-boxes, carb work or new carbs, adjustments, fine-tuning, etc.. I hate doing electrical work, but if there are some mods dealing with the electrical system, I guess I will dig in...heh!

I know I just got my ski back, but I am already jealous of all the super-nice boats you guys have, both on the outside, and lurking under the seat! As it sits, she will outrun all of my friend's skis already, but I don't just want to outrun them, I want to go fast for myself, because I enjoy it so much..and I friggin' love working on and modifying stuff! I hear tales of a super-sick, 80mph+, Yamaha 1,100 on my river, and I may need to go out hunting one day!

+1
    Check out the projects section. Lots of good stuff.... If you want to venture into the Yamaha section they have some fast stuff including a 106mph propski and a 96 mph GPR with a Seadoo turbo motor built buy greenhulk himself. So far the fastest Polaris that is posted is a 1350 Matrix at 79 mph. I have my 785 SLT transplant running at 62 should be 65+ soon... Bring the check book and hold on...

I have been 125mph on the water, in a bullet-hull boat with a well-built Mercury "gray" outboard, but I have never been above 70 on a ski. 125mph on the water, no matter what kind of craft, is crazy-fast, and feels amazing! I would like to be able to get my SLX to the 65mph mark, but anything above that will be a bonus! The only thing is, I don't want to lose acceleration just to gain every possible mph...I want "rip your arms off" acceleration!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I want "rip your arms off" acceleration!

785 Exhaust valve triple piper.. Oh my arms hurt...

I hope mine do very soon!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The best bang for the buck would be AL's trippple piper.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Seriously consider your options.

1. you have a quick reliable ski that sips gas. You can do a few minor mods to make it a little quicker.

2. you sink ALOT of $$$ into it to make it faster still. Guzzles gas and then there's tuning invlolved which is a PITA. Pipes, carbs, reeds, heads, ignition, etc... = $1200+.

3. Or you buy a fast ski already.

Modding is fun, but VERY expensive. And that's coming from a Harley Guy...

Should you decide to go the way of modifying it, plan well in advance. So you don't buy something and then change it later.

Start with Good reeds, then maybe high compression heads. Possibly a PRO 785 CDI and/or coils for the ignition. After that would be possibly porting and bigger carbs, etc.....
    Last edited by xlint89; 05-31-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Thread Information