Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

installing stereo amplifier

I just purchased a T.M.A. amp and want to put it in my 07 speedster.As anybody installed a amp in there speedster and were.I was thanking of installing it on the side wall under the engine hatch.

Even if it's small enough, do not install it behind your console where the radio is... NOT so watertight. My second amp, is high & dry mounted on the airbox. I've been out once since for six hours and it worked flawlessly. Didn't want to have to reach too far for the controls if need be. It did run the battery down by the end of the day; I'm working on a two-battery system now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat amp 2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	75523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010391.JPG 
Views:	375 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	75524  

+1
    Cool,I'm going to install it on the air box.The console sure is not watertight and there is the front compartment dry storage but I don't want to drill holes for the wiring.Thanks for the info VX1 .

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Even if it's small enough, do not install it behind your console where the radio is... NOT so watertight. My second amp, is high & dry mounted on the airbox. I've been out once since for six hours and it worked flawlessly. Didn't want to have to reach too far for the controls if need be. It did run the battery down by the end of the day; I'm working on a two-battery system now.
    You ran the battery down? Please excuse me if I am missing something about the difference between boats and cars. Do our boats not charge the battery while under way or were you at anchor for 6 hours?

thx

Our boats do charge while they are under way but our amplifiers chew up the batteries pretty quick while not running. That's why many of us on the forum are adding a second battery and isolator. If you dedicate your second battery for the amplifiers this should eliminate any problems. I'm running a 6 x 65W amp. and have had no problems.

Our boats have something similar to the function of an altenator, called a stator. Here's a good discussion about the stator: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=stator+watts

I knew I would be testing the limits of the stock battery with this new system, I just didn't have time to do anything about it before going out Memorial Day weekend. Me and another boat took about 20 people to an island of Clearwater and had a BBQ on the beach. I beached the boat and had the stereo at about full blast all day, but would take victims out for a wild ride at least every hour. I think the near the end of the day, it might have sat for nearly two hours though.

You really can't depend on the stator to full charge your battery, it helps, but really can't compete against a 600w sound system. Deep cycle batteries have a reserve power rating, and our stock battery is probably around 90 minutes. I ended up getting an Energizer with a 145 minute reserve. I had my hands on an Optima battery, but it actually had less reserve time, and at 3X the price, I figured it's smarter to just get the Energizer and run with two batteries (cause I've heard of Optimas failing early too).

My "friend" loved the oportunity to tow me back, though. He's always going on about how my boat isn't a boat, it's a jetski, blah, blah, blah. He had to post pictures at work. After letting the battery rest for 30 minutes, it had enough power to start the engine before getting back to the launch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010408.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	75555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010484.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	75556  

+1
    I don't think I'll need nother battery because where we hang out is 15 miles from the lanch and not looking to be towed in from there.Just need more power to hear stereo at wot.I let all the other boats drain there battery,only thing I'll drain is the beer can .

Just to let you know, my current setup is the first time I'm really been able to hear the stereo decent at WOT. Now, I'm running a higher RPM than you, and have the Rude whistling in my ear, but the higher treble waves from the 6.5 speakers don't have much staying power against the wind. Adding the sub is the real reason the stereo is listen-able at WOT, and a sub takes amp power, and and an amp take lots of battery juice.... I resisted getting a sub for a year and a half and now I ask myself why.

If you're only going to run one battery, I HIGHLY recommend getting a Volt Minder then. Hook it up to the battery and it will display and monitor the voltage, and set off an alarm if it gets below a pre-determined point. For $30, how can you go wrong. 15 miles is still a long swim!
    Last edited by VX1; 05-31-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Totally agree on the voltage monitor. I added one for that very reason. I also agree with you on the amp. and sub(s) VX1. My stereo was distorting all the time at WOT and it drove me nuts. I also like my music really loud when anchored. Since I've upgraded my system I haven't had any trouble rockin' out. Even the stators charging my batteries have not had a problem, but I have 2 engines also.......Good luck Buddydoo.

+1
    Only 1 360 watt 2 channel amp and a pair of 6.5 should do with one battery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information