Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Cant remove rear drive shaft on 2000 XPL

I am trying to remove the rear drive shaft on my 2000XPL and having difficulty pulling it back through the rear of the pump. My 98 XPL it just pulls straight out are these different somehow ? It has a seal carrier that is marked A in my photo that when I clamp a set of pliers onto it the shaft can still be turned ok but it will not allow the shaft to be moved lengthways.All it does is when the shaft is pulled the seal carrier pushes against the rubber boot that has the stainless clamps on.I have tried hitting the end of the shaft through the fuel tank with a block of timber but it wont move allthough it will turn okay???? WTF can anybody shed some light on this.

ALL SORTED THANKS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO429.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	75572  
    Last edited by SURFnTURF; 05-31-2008 at 10:40 AM.

i'd guess you figured this out by now, but...

there is a c clip under the seal carrier that keeps it located on the shaft, the pressure from rubber boot pushes the carbon ring against that carrier to keep water out. push the stainless carrier back and remove clip.
    if you have been hitting around on it, make sure you inspect it good. also make shure mid-shaft coupler comes off end of shaft splines.
    yes it is different then your 98. if it were me i'd throw away carbon ring set up, jb weld the c clip groove and install a seal carrier like your 98 has. buy a wsm complete for 38 bucks from parkeryamaha.com and purchase the old style rubber hose there too.

+1
    +1 with what Ohell said... Carbon seals are bad..

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Reinstall your pump with impeller temporarily. Then slide the SS ring you maked "A" rearward toward the pump. This will expose the C Clip they mentioned.

BTW...you should have the same clip on your 98. If you don't, I'm surprised it isn't flooding your hull...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post

BTW...you should have the same clip on your 98. If you don't, I'm surprised it isn't flooding your hull...

Nope never had this situation on my 98XPL I could always remove the pump and sometimes the driveshaft would come out still inside the impellor. Whats the story with these carbon rings are they something to be removed do they leak or something ???

Well...if you look at the pic you can easily see why the C clip is there. It's to keep pressure applied to the carbon ring. If there is no C clip on your 98, what is keeping the SS ring pushed gainst the carbon ring?

BTW...this situation is on all carbon ringed skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Well...if you look at the pic you can easily see why the C clip is there. It's to keep pressure applied to the carbon ring. If there is no C clip on your 98, what is keeping the SS ring pushed gainst the carbon ring?

BTW...this situation is on all carbon ringed skis.
    Im afraid you are WRONG SIR ! Look at the following picture of BRP 98 XPL drive line layout and no C clip or carbon ring in sight.It has a seal carrier system .Which then i go back to my question which is the better system or more prone to leak ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5667C10.gif 
Views:	170 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	75798  

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Im afraid you are WRONG SIR ! Look at the following picture of BRP 98 XPL drive line layout and no C clip or carbon ring in sight.It has a seal carrier system .Which then i go back to my question which is the better system or more prone to leak ???
    I stand corrected...sorry!

I had no idea SD backdated to their old setup.

You'll get mixed reviews about either. The old one requires greasing before every ride (a pain in the butt) and kills 40-50 max rpms over the carbon setup. The carbon is not supposed to be run dry as it will heat up quickly and ruin the seal, BRP never tells you this when running it on the hose. I always trickle water on it when running extended periods on the hose.

I prefer the carbon setup.

+1
    Yeah, the 98's were different. They went to the updated driveshaft for 99.

carbon ring

New to sea Doo and also to this thread. I also can not remove my ring seal carrier. Does the carrier slide off to the motor or prop end? Is the carbon manily for keeping water out of hull? Made a split carbon ring to try if I can"t the carrier off. Any one tried split or bad idea. Also checking runout and allignment,is scale measurement ok or does it need to be closer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information