Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

First RXP with Gibson Muffler

What was required to make the gibson muffler fit the RXP was a quick 5 minute cut with a sawzall. The cut was 5/8" off the end the mates with the thru-hull tip and coupler. The coupler needs to slide all the way down the lip on the muffler so that the muffler reaches the thru-hull tip. You then have to twist the j-pipe and muffler to line it all up. The connection isn't the best because the flange isn't as long as preferred. These are all things I feel confident that (Jason) Hydrojunkie will have ironed out for future orders.

After dropping the ski in the water I could immediately tell that it wasn't as loud as the shorty. I was expecting it to be even quieter, but even though it's not, it has a smoothness to it. It's more mellow and more bearable, atleast to me. When the ski came unhooked and the exhaust tip was out of the water it still had the loud growl that I loved on the shorty. I couldn't do any testing for RPMs or speed because the conditions were way too rough. I also don't have a shorty box anymore for back to back testing.

I have no problems with the quality of this product. If Jason makes the 2 quick modifications (longer flange and shorter outlet pipe) then in my mind this muffler will be perfected. The polish that he has done on it gives it the bling factor for sure.

I would like to continue to try to play with the amount of water dumped into the muffler to see how quiet we can get it. That way the user can enjoy a whole sound spectrum from opening the water valve rather than only a smaller range.

Overall I give the Gibson muffler 2 thumbs up. It looks nice, sounds nice (and badass), frees up room in the hull, and will hopefully net performance gains once I get into further testing. I did notice after this short initial test that the low end acceleration did improve. While most were claiming the same thing on the shorty, I never felt it. With this muffler I finally could tell the difference.

Thanks for the product and hard work Jason.

--James a.k.a. JFizzleJR
    Last edited by JFizzleJR; 06-02-2008 at 09:59 AM.

+1
    ttt for meeper and others who haven't seen the first batch of mufflers can easily be modded to fit the RXP.

+1
    for $320 we should not have to modify anything. Most dont understand that point because they are not in the customer service business like i am.

And at the outlet connection the pipes do not line up straight for a straight coupler to fit proplerly without eventually wearing it, a 30 deg coupler would be ideal for this.

+1
    Yes, I understand that everything should've been worked out. However, mistakes are made. A perfect example of a similar product is the green box. The plate inside it broke on many peoples including mine. Now I can't even begin to express how pissed I would've been if I was in the middle of a race and my waterbox broke apart or if I was 20 miles from the launch. My muffler went in with this one simple cut. I'm assuming everyone elses should as well.

+1
    Great job fizzle! I have to find myself a machine shop as I am horrible with a sawzall... bought 1 over the weekend and cut my jpipe way bad... its all angled now I dont want to do the same for the muffler itself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    Great job fizzle! I have to find myself a machine shop as I am horrible with a sawzall... bought 1 over the weekend and cut my jpipe way bad... its all angled now I dont want to do the same for the muffler itself.
    use a porta band or hacksaw by hand (save the gas, lol), im sure any exhaust shop would cut it for free also....

+1
    I used the hacksaw for the j-pipe. Took a few minutes to say the least

+1
    fizzle, what exactly did you do about the water lines/fittings that were missing from your kit during install?

+1
    I got the correct stuff and threw it on??

It's not anything special. A plastic T, some 1/2" hose, and a ball valve..

+1
    I installed my gibson this weekend without doing any cuts. Also the rxp already has a water line that goes to the outlet on the stock exhaust. I just cut it to length and used it to supply the gibson. Although it did not line up perfectly with the thru hull it was a pretty easy install. I just cut a 5 in section out of the original hump and used it for my coupler. This was flexible enough to make up for the misalignment.
    After I got it installed and fired it up it was all smiles. I was afraid it was going to be to quiet but it sounded great, nice and throaty. IMO sounds more tuned than any waterbox, kinda reminds me of my ZX12R with a full exhaust system. It also sounds awesome on the water. I had tons of compliments on how it sounds. I had my buddy ride it so that I could hear it and once again all smiles.
    As far as performance gains I noticed mostly acceleration and about 50rpms over my stock gutted box.
    Overall I am very happy with the gibson but if it is quiet you are looking for I dont think this is it. If Jason fixes the alignment issue this is definitely the way to go.
    Jim

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information