Thumbs up + 10 mph with a ride plate and impeller

just an update! granted it's only a xl700 I use for fishing but in this post I was asking about speed increases using a Riva ride plate and a new stock impeller http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58202

Well I took the gps this trip and low and behold my ski went from 30 mph to 40 gps 12 gallons fuel , choppy water, all compartments completely full of stuff including an anchor! It must have been the impeller ? but I swear the old one was not bad at all? ( however impros already has it back to me as a spare)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    just an update! granted it's only a xl700 I use for fishing but in this post I was asking about speed increases using a Riva ride plate and a new stock impeller http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58202

Well I took the gps this trip and low and behold my ski went from 30 mph to 40 gps 12 gallons fuel , choppy water, all compartments completely full of stuff including an anchor! It must have been the impeller ? but I swear the old one was not bad at all? ( however impros already has it back to me as a spare)

If your xl700 was only going 30mph before then there was a problem... Sounds like the new prop fixed that problem. I know I would see mid to high 40's all day on my wife's old venture with the same motor.

Did it always run 30?

I know your right! I never was concened with top speed on that craft and I just happen to chuck the new impeller in while inspecting the pump! It just amazed me that the impeller was that bad , it sure didn't look it
    Last edited by ZMANN; 06-02-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Hi I was thinking about sendin my prop to impros to get it refurbished and just like yours it doesnt look bad. After reading this I am definetely getting it done back to factory specs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I know your right! I never was concened with top speed on that craft and I just happen to chuck the new impeller in while inspecting the pump! It just amazed me that the impeller was that bad , it sure didn't look it
    Do you think it had just lost pitch from running?? Just started to flatten the blades out?? or just lost some of the outter edge causing bad clearance at the ring??

The xl700/venture is still one of my favorite skiis. Probably one of the most durable skiis out there. My original plan was to keep mine and set it up for fishing with pole holders and a live well of some sort.... to use for fishing in the bay..

I never checked clearance between impeller and wear ring , I just wasn't concerned about this ski! but it had cavatation burns on the iner blade where it meets the cone and some on the outer diameter as well! but barley , So I'm sure it was loosing performance but I bought it that way and had no real benchmark .
    But the lesson I learned was you can't just eyeball and impeller for condition like I thought you could! I can't wait to put my 1200 impro impeller back in and see what happens

Thread Information