Polaris SL650 Fuel Mixture (running Rich)

I recently purchased a 95' Polaris SL650. It was running very lean - required some choke to get it to accelerate. I took it in to the dealer and it would appear that they replaced the entire carb/intake. ($850). Now it runs VERY RICH. It's very sluggish out of the hole, but once you get the RPM's up, it'll fly. I'm hoping that there is an adjustment screw somewhere and I can do this myself as I can't afford another visit to the dealer! ) Can someone help? Thank you!
    Dan

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Dan.

In the tech section there's some great tuning tips.

Randy from Watcon was kind enough to write them out. Search for tuning tips for noobies or girls. I forgot what they actually titled it as.

+1
    Did you get dinner and a kiss first???????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Download the 1992-1998 Service manual.

Factory settings should get you in the ball park, then find the carb tuning tips to fine tune it from there.

K447 - THANK YOU! All the tuning tips on this site are great, but USELESS if you don't have the service manual to ensure you're turning the right screws!

Seaobin - No dinner or kiss.. he was ugly too! Generally, I have no problem paying a good mechanic... unfortunately, this is my first experience with a Jetski and I don't KNOW A GOOD MECHANIC!

If anyone knows of a great service guy in Northern Colorado, I'd appreciate a name. Just FYI - the place you might want to steer clear of is 'EXTREME YAMAHA'!

+1
    LMAO...

Seriously though, there is really nothing that the dealer did that you could not do yourself.

Carb cleaning and balancing--Go to Randy at Watcon. $60-70 per carb plus shipping to Washington state and you would have like new carbs. 15 minutes to reinstall and you are done (it is literally 6 bolts )

We have all been there, we will try not to let it happen again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by danwann View Post
    K447 - THANK YOU! All the tuning tips on this site are great, but USELESS if you don't have the service manual to ensure you're turning the right screws!

Seaobin - No dinner or kiss.. he was ugly too! Generally, I have no problem paying a good mechanic... unfortunately, this is my first experience with a Jetski and I don't KNOW A GOOD MECHANIC!

If anyone knows of a great service guy in Northern Colorado, I'd appreciate a name. Just FYI - the place you might want to steer clear of is 'EXTREME YAMAHA'!
    Make sure you look at the high altitude recommendations in the manual.

Tuning Carbs on Polaris SL650

Ok, Thanks to everyone's help I'm making progress correcting the 'way too rich' problem. The problem... now, the low-speed / idle screw is all the way in and it's still getting too much gas off the start. It's better.. it seems to be ok from about 1/4 throttle up to full throttle, but it's still a dog out of the gate and the problem is definitely that it's too rich. It didn't do this before they rebuilt the carbs and choking it just makes it worse (FYI - the high speed screw is also only about 1/2 to 3/4 turn out as well). I'm guessing that they put too big of jets in when they rebuilt the carbs. The receipt says they installed Part # WPS 13-9075 - Mikuni Low Speed Jet. Does that mean they installed .075 jets.. and if so, what size would you suggest? (going smaller). Thanks again for all the help!

+1
    You just paid him 800+ bucks, take it back and have him correct the running issue.

they had no business changing jets unless some mods were made? and it sure sounds like leaky needle and seats? ask them what psi they set the pop off at? and if they look like this you've been had

Thread Information