Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taking water, bilge not working??

Hello,
    I'm a mechanic in the military, and new to the forum. Hopefully I could get some assistance here. Now my two issues;

1) I have a 94 sl750 and took it out for Memorial Day, just recently purchased it. I noticed that when I was done riding, I had water in the engine compartment. Like almost over the electrical box above the battery.YIKES>>>>

Shouldn't the siphon system remove this from the hull?

I elevated my trailer and filled the engine compart with water. (above the driveshaft) no water came out. Under neath of the drive shaft is a little fin or something for the speedo. The clear hose that attaches to it was removed. I know water was coming in there also b/c water started leaking out of the hole once I filled the hull with water.

Where else could water be coming in, but not out?? Is this possible??

My question is why wasn't the siphon (bilge) system working? I was looking at it last night. I noticed some dirt and grime in the clear hoses that go to the jet pump, leaving the back of the engine compartment. I took my air compressor and blew through the hoses. My wife held a rag on the outside over the nozzles. There was a good bit of garbage that came out, not sure if that would prevent the siphon system form working at all though.

2) My trim motor is all the way up and it doesn't work. I took the motor out last night. Once I took the cover off it was rusted very bad, like to the point where I wouldn't work either.lol

I'm planning on buying a new trim motor, but here is my issue. I took my multimeter to see if I had voltage to the trim motor. My son holding in the switch in both directions. I had very low voltaged, like 1/2 of a volt! I put the lanyard in to see if it would make a difference, it did not. Does the engine need to be running or does the ski need to be in water?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. John

Just wanted to give you a huge "THANKS" for your service to the nation!

I don't have the answers to your questions...but you have certainly stumbled into the right place. You will be getting help, shortly, I am sure....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by armyguy7776 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm a mechanic in the military, and new to the forum. Hopefully I could get some assistance here. Now my two issues;

1) I have a 94 sl750 and took it out for Memorial Day, just recently purchased it. I noticed that when I was done riding, I had water in the engine compartment. Like almost over the electrical box above the battery.YIKES>>>>

Shouldn't the siphon system remove this from the hull?

I elevated my trailer and filled the engine compart with water. (above the driveshaft) no water came out. Under neath of the drive shaft is a little fin or something for the speedo. The clear hose that attaches to it was removed. I know water was coming in there also b/c water started leaking out of the hole once I filled the hull with water.

Where else could water be coming in, but not out?? Is this possible??

My question is why wasn't the siphon (bilge) system working? I was looking at it last night. I noticed some dirt and grime in the clear hoses that go to the jet pump, leaving the back of the engine compartment. I took my air compressor and blew through the hoses. My wife held a rag on the outside over the nozzles. There was a good bit of garbage that came out, not sure if that would prevent the siphon system form working at all though. Any obstruction can make the siphon not work. Also there is a small hole in the side of the elbows for the siphons that needs to be clear.

2) My trim motor is all the way up and it doesn't work. I took the motor out last night. Once I took the cover off it was rusted very bad, like to the point where I wouldn't work either.lol

I'm planning on buying a new trim motor, but here is my issue. I took my multimeter to see if I had voltage to the trim motor. My son holding in the switch in both directions. I had very low voltaged, like 1/2 of a volt! I put the lanyard in to see if it would make a difference, it did not. Does the engine need to be running or does the ski need to be in water? Yes

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. John
    Welcome to the hulk...

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    My question is why wasn't the siphon (bilge) system working? I was looking at it last night. I noticed some dirt and grime in the clear hoses that go to the jet pump, leaving the back of the engine compartment. I took my air compressor and blew through the hoses. My wife held a rag on the outside over the nozzles. There was a good bit of garbage that came out, not sure if that would prevent the siphon system form working at all though. Any obstruction can make the siphon not work. Also there is a small hole in the side of the elbows for the siphons that needs to be clear.
    Welcome too and also Thanks for your service.
    Just to add to BD's comment.Make sure the elbows are up off the floor of the hull,they can siphon back if low.
    Also,check it in the water on the trailer with the engine running,You may be leaking thru the driveshaft bushing(they alot of times will only leak while running,also grease the bushing on the driveshaft.

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992-1998FactoryManual.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	75647  

+1
    Army,

Welcome Brother

Where are you located?

Speedo tube needs to be on or it will push water, bilge is as they said. even a small bit of crap will break the siphon.

Might want to invest the 30 bucks and get a secondary bilge installed.

Trim only works while the engine is running

Cool Thanks a ton!

All,

Thanks for the assistance, it is much appreciated. You all have been of great help!

Beerdart, on the information sheet you posted, where is that last plug or picture located on the ski?

I ran some water through the hoses and hit them with the air nozzle, all obstruction seems to be free of the elbows. Does the jet pump perform bilge siphon duties?

Where can I find that $30 secondary bilge? Also, leaned on the handle bars and snapped the da** plastic throttle lever. I found this on a website for $28. Anyone know of a cheaper one?

Also, the trim motor! I have the little motor out of the black plastic housing. Saw this for $128, any other part site you all may know about.

Just to let you all know that I'm stationed at FT Knox, KY.

Thanks again,
    John

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by armyguy7776 View Post
    All,

Thanks for the assistance, it is much appreciated. You all have been of great help!

Beerdart, on the information sheet you posted, where is that last plug or picture located on the ski? That is for newer skies yours is the rubber expanding one.

I ran some water through the hoses and hit them with the air nozzle, all obstruction seems to be free of the elbows. Does the jet pump perform bilge siphon duties? Yes the jet pump creates the suction.

Where can I find that $30 secondary bilge? Also, leaned on the handle bars and snapped the da** plastic throttle lever. I found this on a website for $28. Anyone know of a cheaper one? Walmart

Also, the trim motor! I have the little motor out of the black plastic housing. Saw this for $128, any other part site you all may know about. Hobby shop some have replaced with an RC motor.

Just to let you all know that I'm stationed at FT Knox, KY.

Thanks again,
    John

+1
    Bilge pump

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...Bcibilge-pumps

Boatersworld.com or walmart

Get one with auto water check and add a thru hull fitting and hook it to the power for the trim motor. That way it is only on when you are running. Or install a waterproof switch for it and hook it to the battery directly incase you need it when dead in the water

My siphon system on my 93 Sl650 works amazing. The thing is stupid dry when i get off the water after hours. And i have leaks and cracks everywhere that supposedly take on water.

So if you can get that working good, it should be all you need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information