Arrow virage tx in limp mode

I have a 2001 virage tx. I just took it out for the first time this season. Had to use a lil persuassion to get the reverse to move, thought i had it all lubed at the end of last season, but I guess no good enough. Anyways, i got it moving pretty freely, still seem to bind at the very top and bottom, but the reverse stays on the readout and light flashes. I found the plug under the dash and unplugged it and is runs fin when unplugged. I also pushed in on the switch and can make the switch work and it runs fine. But for some reason, the lever is not engaging this switch properly. did domething break off that is supposed to engage this switch, because i dont see how the lever even touches this switch to engage it in forward open throttle mode. Thanks for the help guys.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Sounds like you bent or broke the mounting for the reverse sensing switch.

When I get a chance, I will post a photo of what the reverse sensing switch and mounting look like inside my 2002 Virage TXi.

sensor bent

I was thinking that it might be bent when i first looked at it but wasn't for sure. But now that you mentioned that, i am pretty sure that is what happened. Yes, a picture will help out tons, and I will see if i can rebend it back into place--without breaking it i hope.

OK, after looking at it again last night, it appears that there is a piece missing off the top of the switch. Maybe a spring type activation that rises above the actual switch itself. I tried to get the switch off, but the nut just keeps spinng becaus there is no way to hold onto the screw head, unless i disassemble the entire reverse assembly, UGH. Any help as to how I can rig up something to actuate the switch will help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tcar321 View Post
    OK, after looking at it again last night, it appears that there is a piece missing off the top of the switch. Maybe a spring type activation that rises above the actual switch itself.
    I tried to get the switch off, but the nut just keeps spinning because there is no way to hold onto the screw head, unless i disassemble the entire reverse assembly, UGH.
    Any help as to how I can rig up something to actuate the switch will help.
    Here are pictures of my 2002 Virage TXi reverse sensing switch.

When I needed to remove mine (it was in the way during oil tank removal), I just removed the four screws holding the metal switch support, and the switch comes out with the metal bracket.

If you unplug the connector for the switch wires, then the reverse sensing should disengage (which you have done). That should keep you running while you figure out how, and whether, you will fix the reverse switch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6040228.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	76028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6040232.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	76029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6040231.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	76030  

Thanks for the pics. I see that yes, That one piece of metal on top of the switch must have broken off. I bet it is still inside the bottom of the ski somewhere. I looked at replacing the switch, and they want $100 for this thing, no way. If I can't fix this one, I will just leave it unplugged.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tcar321 View Post
    ...piece of metal on top of the switch must have broken off.
    ...If I can't fix this one, I will just leave it unplugged.
    Perhaps you can fashion something that fits around the end of switch body, and does the same function...

Lemme dig around my Electronics shop I may have a water resistant/proof tumble switch somewhere.. I know I have standard ones but im unsure how close to water it will be the tabs on mine are designed to be bent in the shape needed so they hang about an inch and a quarter over the one side of the switch..

can somone possible tell me if theres a connector thats in between the switch and wherever it goes to???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    ... tell me if there's a connector that's in between the switch and wherever it goes to???
    The connector is only a few inches away from the switch. Standard Weather Pack type, I think.

Thread Information