Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gp1300 stepping motor problem

I have a 2003 gp1300r that after about 10 minutes of riding the check engine light comes on so i held down select and the code it reads off is 67 which is the stepping motor stuck open any suggestions on how to fix this? do i just replace it or is there a way to test it or can i bypass it?

+1
    do you have an EFI controller ?

no i don't have an efi controller unfortunitly, how much are they and where can i get one?? Is there any other way to test it? or fix it? it idles horribly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xprider02 View Post
    no i don't have an efi controller unfortunitly, how much are they and where can i get one?? Is there any other way to test it? or fix it? it idles horribly
    I have seen controllers and connections cause this code. You dont have one so it may be bad connections, the stepper motor itself, or a bad ECU. You cant buy the motor seperate, it comes with throttle body assembly.

Check and clean all main wiring harness connections. I also have seen the bolts back out of the stinger pipe and dump hot exhaust down on top of the motor melting the motor and connector. You will have to pull the pipe to see

+1
    Also, check the ground strap from the engine block to the head. The bolt at the head was loose on my '06 and a stepping motor error would pop.

ok so im back on this waverunner and I took the pipe off cleaned all connections and put dielectric grease on them and the check engine light is still coming on and reading code 67. Is the only way I can tell what the exact problem is the efi controler? i don't want to miss diagnos the problem and buy something for the customer i don't need. is there any way to test the stepping motor to tell if is working correctly? where can i get the efi controller? I probably have to be a yamaha dealer eh?

+1
    What was said earlier was that IF you had an EFI controller then it may be the problem. NOT if you had an EFI controller it could fix it.

You do not need an EFI controller.

+1
    ok so im back on this waverunner and I took the pipe off cleaned all connections and put dielectric grease on them and the check engine light is still coming on and reading code 67. Is the only way I can tell what the exact problem is the efi controler? i don't want to miss diagnos the problem and buy something for the customer i don't need. is there any way to test the stepping motor to tell if is working correctly? where can i get the efi controller? I probably have to be a yamaha dealer eh?
    you can exercise the stepper with the YDS program

yes the dealer has the program, along with a few members here

I took this unit to the local yamaha dealer b/c i needed them to do the warrenty work on it and i told them to throw the computer on it while they were in it..they told me they think it is the powervalves need cleaned do you think this could cause this code to go off? i think they just had no idea when they read the stepper motor code what the stepper motor actually was. then assumed it was talking about the motor for the power valves what do you guys think? I really need to get this waverunner done i appreciate all your help...thanks

+1
    I took this unit to the local yamaha dealer b/c i needed them to do the warrenty work on it and i told them to throw the computer on it while they were in it..they told me they think it is the powervalves need cleaned do you think this could cause this code to go off? i think they just had no idea when they read the stepper motor code what the stepper motor actually was. then assumed it was talking about the motor for the power valves what do you guys think? I really need to get this waverunner done i appreciate all your help...thanks
    First thing I would do is find a new mechanic! The stepper motor controls the idle off the engine. Its on the throttle bodies and a non replaceable part (meaning you have to buy the whole "throttle body assembly" ) The power valves being dirty wouldn't throw a code. A bad ground or connection anywhere on an efi ski can and will wreak havoc!!! Where are you located? Maybe someone on here knows a better dealer/mechanic in your area...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information