Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

a few 951 questions

to make a long story short, i am doing some work on my 98xpl and have a few questions. never really worked on a 951 before, but have plenty of experience with the 800's.

i am upgrading the exhaust manifold to the newer style o-ring type and i am putting back the oil injection as i am not a big fan of pre-mix. my ski is not modified (other than f/a) so i find pre-mix more of a pain than anything else. i have re-installed the drive-shaft in the magneto housing and about to start putting everything back together. just waiting on delivery of a couple of parts.

1-is there any sealant that goes around the reed cages when they are installed? when i removed them, there seemed to be a white silicone around the outside. there is nothing shown on the microfiche and the outside of the reed cage is made of rubber so i would think that it should seal once the intake manifold is bolted up.

2-should there be any sealant put on between the intake manifold and the cases? again, i saw nothing on the microfiche, just making sure before everything goes together.

i think that's it for now. i'm sure i'll have more questions. there are a few questions about the carbs, but i'll have to take some pics and post before i ask those questions.

thanks

1, No sealant.
    2, Just gaskets.

I pretty well always use a little bit of anaerobic flange sealant with the gaskets just encase there are some spots where the gasket can't fill in. The nice thing about the flange sealant is that it stays in it's sticky form until put under torque. After it's been torqued it only takes about an hour to fully cure. OMC (Outboard Marine Corp.) makes a really good one called Gelseal. Just use a very little and smear it across the gasket surface on both sides. It's not necessary but it is piece of mind knowing there's the added insurance.

+1
    it took a while, but here are the pics of the carbs. are they stock carbs? in the first picture, what is the small hose-barb type thing in the carbs (arrow pointing to it)? is it for oil injection? it is tied to the same fitting on the other carb with a hose and then blocked off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98xpl carbs - 1.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	77257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98xpl carbs - 2.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	77258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98xpl carbs - 3.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	77259  

Jay I beleive that would be for the acell pump if it used it. (dont see it in the pics) The oil ingection should go into the "intake" in front of the reeds. On a DI the oil lines go into oil ingectors on the back of the block above the balance shaft area.

I also use anaerobic flange sealant. Might not be nessesary but my crap's been holding up No sense in tempting fate...

+1
    thanks. i believe the accel pump was removed. i know that he oil injection goes into the intakes, but thought that if these were aftermarket carbs, maybe the location was changed.

i always use either the anerobic gasket maker or a thin layer of the copper sealant on my carb gaskets just to be sure as well. it also helps keep them in place while installing.

+1
    Those carbs are stock & there is no gaskets on the intake manifolds.

Oil is injected at the bottom of the intakes on a 951.

+1
    Also DO NOT try a twist that clamp off on the fuel lline by the idle screw,when you do that you will probally snap off the plactic fitting & it cost approx $125 for that part.

Just pull the line straight off.

+1
    there is a gasket between the carbs and the intake but no gasket between the intake and reeds.

TLR

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    there is a gasket between the carbs and the intake but no gasket between the intake and reeds.

TLR
    That's what I thought too. Thanks for coming out of the closet stranger!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information