another supercharger bites the dust, maybe

Hey everyone.... i had my ski (07 RXT, 38hrs) out for its maiden spring voyage yesterday. It ran great all day around 7800 rpms and holding 69/70 on the speedo. About five mins from the end of the day, my buddy on his rxp takes off at full throttle and I give chase. As he is pulling away at wot, Im stuck at 6300 and wont go over 52 mph. Immediatley, I thought supercharger. Luckily I was right near the ramp so I pulled her out. Seems to run ok, no knocking or pinging but I dont hear any supercharger whistle like I used to. Are these the symptoms of supercharger failure? I called dealer and they told me to bring it in wednesday which I am. They said if it is supercharger, it is covered under warranty which I have until 2010 and they will replace washers/bearings with the correct titanium version and check for any further damage caused. The dealer quoted me around $350 over the winter to do bearings/washers which I did not do so now it looks like I get em for free. Sorry for the long post.

Quote Originally Posted by DSmith1178 View Post
    Hey everyone.... i had my ski (07 RXT, 38hrs) out for its maiden spring voyage yesterday. It ran great all day around 7800 rpms and holding 69/70 on the speedo. About five mins from the end of the day, my buddy on his rxp takes off at full throttle and I give chase. As he is pulling away at wot, Im stuck at 6300 and wont go over 52 mph. Immediatley, I thought supercharger. Luckily I was right near the ramp so I pulled her out. Seems to run ok, no knocking or pinging but I dont hear any supercharger whistle like I used to. Are these the symptoms of supercharger failure? I called dealer and they told me to bring it in wednesday which I am. They said if it is supercharger, it is covered under warranty which I have until 2010 and they will replace washers/bearings with the correct titanium version and check for any further damage caused. The dealer quoted me around $350 over the winter to do bearings/washers which I did not do so now it looks like I get em for free. Sorry for the long post.
    Well...yes, it definately sounds like the ceramic washers in the SC. Make sure the dealer does replace with metals and cleans the engine out well. Since you stopped immediately pieces may have not gotten in the engine. Good luck!!

Raise Hell Eat Cornbread
    Does anyone have a picture of that the spuercharger looks like when the washers are gone?

This subject has been beaten to death.
    Make SURE they check and clean the oil pumps otherwise you WILL have major problems quickly after the washer repair.

Quote Originally Posted by MyTSiTalon View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of that the spuercharger looks like when the washers are gone?
    Check this out:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887
    and this one
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40298

Hey guys..update on my ski... Took it in Wednesday and got call today. Supercharger was toast. They are rebuilding it and have removed the motor to clean whatever went in it from charger. They should have it done this afternoon. By the way, they are using the new titanium rebuild kit from BRP. Not bad...three day turn around. We will see how she runs. The dealer I bought from puts all of their customers ahead of other machines from other dealers.

Could have avoided all that trouble. If you just would have replaced the washers in the first place. I dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by DSmith1178 View Post
    Hey guys..update on my ski... Took it in Wednesday and got call today. Supercharger was toast. They are rebuilding it and have removed the motor to clean whatever went in it from charger. They should have it done this afternoon. By the way, they are using the new titanium rebuild kit from BRP. Not bad...three day turn around. We will see how she runs. The dealer I bought from puts all of their customers ahead of other machines from other dealers.
    Sounds like they are doing it right!! Thank them for this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Len View Post
    Could have avoided all that trouble. If you just would have replaced the washers in the first place. I dont get it.
    There was no trouble. Ski was under warranty (no cost or labor involved), I took it in Wednesday, had it back friday (no weekend downtime), they replaced the washers with the 08 titanium version. They pulled motor to check for further damage. Im not too mechanically apt to remove the charger myself and I wasnt paying the dealer $350 to do what I just had done for free. My two cents....

Thread Information