Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    I like 'em wet 'n fast! Chad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Posts
    90

    Question I need an MFD for a '96 SLX780...

    I replaced both fuses in the electrical box, but the MFD still doesn't work. My friend said it had started blinking on and off a couple years ago, and I guess it finally died the other day. Do any of you guys or gals have one? If so, how much do you want for it? I appreciate and help you can give, thanks in advance.


  2. #2
    TimAtkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hillsboro Ohio
    Posts
    156
    Check your PM.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I replaced both fuses in the electrical box, but the MFD still doesn't work.
    My friend said it had started blinking on and off a couple years ago, and I guess it finally died the other day...
    Have you checked the black wire for a solid ground connection for the MFD, and checked for corrosion or broken wire connections behind the MFD itself?

    Refer to the service manual to check for proper voltage at the MFD connector pins.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,702
    +1
    109
    i have a nice one for 175.00 shipped .

  5. #5
    I just bought s Poloris yestyerday and my mfd does not work as well. Where could I locate the service manual since I do not have one. I will check for broken wires and the ground today. Does a guy on these forums rebuild the mfd's?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,702
    +1
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by richsrq View Post
    I just bought s Poloris yestyerday and my mfd does not work as well. Where could I locate the service manual since I do not have one. I will check for broken wires and the ground today. Does a guy on these forums rebuild the mfd's?

    check the fuse in the electrical box .

  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by richsrq View Post
    I just bought a Polaris yesterday and my MFD does not work as well.
    Where could I locate the service manual since I do not have one.
    I will check for broken wires and the ground today.
    Does a guy on these forums rebuild the MFD's?
    Welcome to the Hulk!

    Which model and year did you buy?

    Do some searching on here. The Service Manual download link is in dozens of existing threads - not very hard to find!

    The Green Hulk way; Search, Read, download the Service Manual, investigate and diagnose, ask questions and post clear photos, and get it ready to ride.

    MFD rebuild - there are several threads on repairing these, IF yours needs it. The rebuilds are focussed on correcting fading segments of the LCD display, not a completely non-functional MFD (which doesn't actually happen very often).

    If you MFD doesn't work AT ALL, then the problem is usually the fuse, wiring, or connections.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!

    Which model and year did you buy?

    Do some searching on here. The Service Manual download link is in dozens of existing threads - not very hard to find!

    The Green Hulk way; Search, Read, download the Service Manual, investigate and diagnose, ask questions and post clear photos, and get it ready to ride.

    MFD rebuild - there are several threads on repairing these, IF yours needs it. The rebuilds are focussed on correcting fading segments of the LCD display, not a completely non-functional MFD (which doesn't actually happen very often).

    If you MFD doesn't work AT ALL, then the problem is usually the fuse, wiring, or connections.
    I noticed 2 fuses, one large and one small, all gooped up. It was difficult to see clearly if the fuse was blown or not.

    I am very excited. I just bought the 2001 Polaris SLX for $200.00 with a trailer that did not run. The engine size numbers are pealed off the air cleaner so I do not know for sure. I downloaded a diagram and with the help of a freind realized that 2 fuel hoses were switched on the sending unit. Fliped them around and it started right up but was hitting a rev limit early. Added more gas (it has 5 gallons of new fuel) and still was hitting the rev limit early for some reason. I pulled the grey wire which I learned from the forum last night and it revs out all the way now. It sounds awesome and runs on the trailer perfect. LOL.

    I just got it yesterday and I am seriously overloaded with new info so far. I just finished the 3 stage compound on the gel coat and am getting ready to do the trim. She is starting to look beautiful again.

    Thanks for the help and info.

    Rich

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by richsrq View Post
    I noticed 2 fuses, one large and one small, all gooped up. It was difficult to see clearly if the fuse was blown or not.

    I am very excited. I just bought the 2001 Polaris SLX for $200.00 with a trailer that did not run. The engine size numbers are pealed off the air cleaner so I do not know for sure. I downloaded a diagram and with the help of a friend realized that 2 fuel hoses were switched on the sending unit. Flipped them around and it started right up but was hitting a rev limit early. Added more gas (it has 5 gallons of new fuel) and still was hitting the rev limit early for some reason.
    I pulled the grey wire which I learned from the forum last night and it revs out all the way now. It sounds awesome and runs on the trailer perfect. LOL.

    I just got it yesterday and I am seriously overloaded with new info so far. I just finished the 3 stage compound on the gel coat and am getting ready to do the trim. She is starting to look beautiful again.

    Thanks for the help and info.

    Rich
    Welcome to the Hulk!

    Check fuses with a multi-meter.

    With the engine OFF, and the battery connected, meter black lead on battery negative, should have 12 volts at each end of the MFD fuse using the red lead.

    OR, with the battery disconnected, use the ohm-meter mode to confirm zero ohms between the two ends of the fuse.

    Or pull the fuses out, keep track of which came from where, wipe the goop off, and again use ohm-meter to read zero ohms between the two ends. Anything other than zero ohms indicates a bad fuse.

    Be careful running it out of the water. Read the cautions in other threads regarding possible stator and through-hull bearing and seal damage from excessive RPM or time running out of the water.

    Also, do not leave it with the gray wire disconnected. Figure out what the real problem is, and address it.

    The 2001 SLX has a 1200 engine (1165cc), rated 135HP.
    I will gladly give you $600 for it right now, even though the trailer doesn't run
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2008 at 05:45 PM.

  10. #10
    I like 'em wet 'n fast! Chad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Posts
    90

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I will gladly give you $600 for it right now, even though the trailer doesn't run
    Haha, I was wondering if anyone else was going to catch that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need a seat for 95-96 Raider
    By TerryS in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
  2. I need an MFD cover
    By setharterburn in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM
  3. need an engine for FRZ 2009
    By challengerssx in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 03:13 PM
  4. In need of MFD for 750SLT
    By Desert Toad in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 11:40 PM
  5. looking for an mfd for a 00 slh
    By sschne62 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •