Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

'97 GTX starting problems ... AGAIN (new thread)

Thought I'd start a new thread on this, and see if anyone had any new ideas.

Brand new motor installed in the ski by myself. Trying to start it for the first time and it won't start. It turns over, huffs and puffs and sometimes catches and runs REALLY rough for about 3 seconds and dies. I've killed my new battery 3 times and now it's charging for the 3rd time. Everything is connected properly as far as wires and hoses goes. The timing is set correctly - I've checked and double checked it. It's got compression as it's a new motor, has a spark (blue), and is getting fuel. The fuel is brand new, and I poured about a litre of oil into the tank also to help lubricate it for the first tank of fuel run through. The only guess I have at this point is the RV cover. From the initial damage, there is a gouge in the cover, but it's barely there and you can barely feel it with your finger nail. See picture below.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this thing not to start? Also when I pull the plugs out after trying to start it for a bit, they are wet of course probably from too much fuel and flooding... but also like a black oily colour if that means anything.

I've also trimmed the ignition wires to ensure it's not the problem. The black wire from the coil is attached to the battery (thanks Mike!). The flywheel is in perfect shape, not missing any teeth as well as the starter.

Please help!! I'm so frustrated with this machine!!

+1
    My guess is it flooded due to a stuck needle.

if you don't get an answer here, try www.pwctoday.com. Bill O'Neil will probably know.

i see worx is here as well, he knows his stuff.

the other site has been very slow lately, but there is more 2 stroke action over there.
    Last edited by seadoodude; 06-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Mike and I had the carbs apart checking to see if everything was ok inside and it looks ok. Everything seems to be brand new and working. I could take it apart again to see if it's stuck as of now though.

I will check that site also.

96XPSS any ideas?! You've been a great help along the way so far I really appreciate it! You all have been great!

+1
    i highly doubt the needle and seat are stuck open, but anything is possible. a flooded ski was the diagnosis last time and that wasn't the problem

are you sure the rotary valve timing is set correctly? did you put the rotary valve back on or did the dealership (i am guessing the dealership rebuilt the engine?)

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    are you sure the rotary valve timing is set correctly? did you put the rotary valve back on or did the dealership (i am guessing the dealership rebuilt the engine?)
    Ditto.

Verify your RV timing is correct. Do you have a degree wheel?

When installing the magneto cup did you align the magnets correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Ditto.

Verify your RV timing is correct. Do you have a degree wheel?

When installing the magneto cup did you align the magnets correctly?

I ended up ordering a new engine completely. It came fully assembled and all I had to do was re-use my extra parts. The dealership originally did the timing with the RV, and it wouldn't start. So I took it apart again to re-do the timing with a degree wheel and checked & double checked according to the manual's specs, and it's correct. So I know it's not the timing.

Now, the magneto cup... I don't know what that is. The flywheel cover that I removed and reinstalled I didn't do anything with the electronics in the centre of it. Meaning, I didn't remove any of it, just left it alone and reinstalled it on the new motor. So I didn't deal with any magnets anywhere...

When you pull the front cover, there are magnets on the outside of the magneto. The mag cup has to be aligned properly for it to fire correctly. Refer to your manual for verification. Look at magnet position relative to the keyway location on the crank.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    When you pull the front cover, there are magnets on the outside of the magneto. The mag cup has to be aligned properly for it to fire correctly. Refer to your manual for verification. Look at magnet position relative to the keyway location on the crank.

Would that get mis-aligned if I didn't touch it at all? All I did was remove the cover and re-install.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstyle View Post
    Would that get mis-aligned if I didn't touch it at all? All I did was remove the cover and re-install.
    Somebody had to install the mag cup...I know it wasn't you. It's a 50/50 chance whoever did it, didn't get it right.

Now do you know what I mean?

Did the prior engine run before you got this one? I'm trying to verify the original ignition worked properly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information