+1

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Not all together accurate recommendations, from my perspective. Those tires looked like car tires, not ST trailer tires (32PSI max pressure ). Car tires are not a good choice for a trailer.

Also, the correct pressure is not always the pressure on the tire sidewall. The trailer load rating label may recommend less than sidewall max pressure, depending on the tire size, and the weight being carried.

If you have installed larger, or higher load rated ST tires than stock, then you very well may not need, or want, max tire pressure. Higher than necessary pressure will make the trailer ride harder than needed, and possible increase center-rib tread wear.

For sure, you should check tire pressures before every tow. Just know what pressure you should have in those tires, based on the tire load rating, the trailer labeling, and the actual loaded trailer weight.
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2008 at 10:30 PM.

+1
    I run 13" radial tires on my trailer

+1
    I have 15" tires on my trialer and run 50 psig. I always run what the tire says on the sidewall, it's always better to be safe than sorry. If you don't run the recommend the pressure, not only do you have uneven tire but you are have excess flexing in the tire carcass which lead to excess heat build up. And not all trailers have a sticker on them telling someone what the recommend tire pressure is.

I have seen a guy install brand new tires rated for 80 psig, and Discount Tire (Amarillo) convinced him to only put 35 psig in the tires for better ride. I saw the same guy right before Clarendon with 2 blowouts, 1 flat tire, and 1 tire that was still holding air. When I stop to pick him up, lets just say he was cussing Discount Tire.

As far as tire wear I have never seen uneven tire wear when I run the pressure on the sidewall. If ride quality is an issue then buy lower rated tires, don't except to get the same ride quality from a E rated tired as a C rated tire, it will never happen, and the same goes for LT tires and P tires.

Another reason to run the tire pressure on the sidewall is fuel economy. On my 10 ply (E rated load), I have seen as much 2 mpg when running between 50 psig, and 80 psig on my truck. For trailer, it's easier to pull when running the correct amount, try pulling a triple axle trailer with dual tires.

Did you see those lugnuts on the trailer.

Thread Information