Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT: exhuast with OPAS?

Does anybody know if its possible to add a custom exhaust to this ski without removing the OPAS? I want a little more performance, and like the sound of the exhaust, but dont want to part with my OPAS. I like the turning/handling charateristics...more predictable and safer.

+1
    yes its possible, you just gotta put the exit hole high enough to clear opas bars inside the hull. the bars do move up and down a bit so make sure you check clearances.
    i just removed my opas and put in the Gh waterbox, in my GTX, same hull.
    the opas are not predictable or safer!!!! they always made my turns hook in mid turn, at variable times, and engaged in chop and nearly broke my arm. now without them turns are smooth and slide at the same rate all teh way around, and in chop no dangerous flipper deployment!!
    my advice is take them out!!!

[quote=lextoy;662514]yes its possible, you just gotta put the exit hole high enough to clear opas bars inside the hull. the bars do move up and down a bit so make sure you check clearances.
    i just removed my opas and put in the Gh waterbox, in my GTX, same hull.
    the opas are not predictable or safer!!!! they always made my turns hook in mid turn, at variable times, and engaged in chop and nearly broke my arm. now without them turns are smooth and slide at the same rate all teh way around, and in chop no dangerous flipper deployment!!
    my advice is take them out!!![/quote]

Agree

Next stupid question....will installing an afetr market exhaust and removing the OPAS void my warranty. I still have another year to go...

+1
    that depends on your dealer, but i think the concensus is NO.
    your warranty will be fine, neither of these has any effect on engine longevity.
    ask your service dealership, see if they agree your warranty is safe, but as far as we have ever heard around here at greenhulk, those mods wont hurt you.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalesch View Post
    ...OPAS?...more predictable and safer.
    Actually, if we accept the intent of OPAS (Off Power Assisted Steering) at face value, it IS more predictable and safer... OFF POWER!

Any other time it is not predictable nor safer

Although, a racer who is aware of it's parameters might benefit from using it

jmho
    Last edited by 05Limited; 06-03-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    ... as far as we have ever heard around here at greenhulk, those mods wont hurt you.
    Agreed... however, OPAS can hurt you
    Last edited by 05Limited; 06-03-2008 at 12:31 AM.

+1
    Hey Chuck! Since I did the rear exhaust on mine I still have that custom hose that eliminates the stock baffle to give you a more free flow exhaust and allows you to keep the OPAS. Plus it wont break the bank like the Riva free flow kit. I also have the exit elbow with the bung in it to help reduce the sound a little. Make you a great deal on it. If you dont want it, I will be posting it in the classifieds. Lemme know.

Otherwise you can go with the Riva free flow kit like this one. I am sure Brett can hook you up with it.
    http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...EXHAUST%20KITS
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 06-03-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Hey Gus can you give us a rundown of what your setup consists of? Sounds pretty close to what im looking into doing and it would be great to hear what all you have?
    david

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post
    Hey Gus can you give us a rundown of what your setup consists of? Sounds pretty close to what im looking into doing and it would be great to hear what all you have?
    david
    I think this is what you were looking for - 06 RXT, Riva stage 1 kit (which consited of air intake, scoop grate, pump wedge, impeller), SS wear ring, reverse bucket cut, rideplate holes filled, Riva OPAS eliminator kit, Riva sponsons, 160 degree thermostat mod, Riva blow off valve, metal SC washers, Riva rear exhaust, waterbox modified, back of rear seat drilled out and ride with rear bucket removed for more air flow, and I think that's it.............. for now. The 69.1 was with a full tank of gas, in smooth salt water, front bucket removed, and both seats removed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information