Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

A few problems ( need help)

Ok, so I have been searching the threads and I am guessing I could have 1 or 2 of many problems, but need some opinions.

I have a 96gsx with an 800 motor. I just had the motor rebuilt and took it out. First off, it seem to run strong but when coming off a big wave it would really start to die off and then eventually die. I would try to go and start it and it would act like the battery was dead. There was not enough juice to turn the starter over. Well along comes another big wave and hits the hull and it starts cranking over like crazy and fires right up. So, I think something is loose, pull it out, check all my connections..wires..etc..find nothing, but decide to replace my ground anyways and add another ground just to be sure. I take it out again and this time the thing won't even get over 3500 rpms and it bogging and spitting and just will not plain at any adjustment to the throttle. We pull it in, check the fuel filter, fuel lines, vacumes, and everything seems in tact. Then pull the spark plugs and they are really really black, but I didn't think it would cause that much drama on the skis rpms. I did replace them though and headed back out and it ran fine, but first big wave and my electrical problem is back. I tried one more time today after going over some other stuff on smooth water and it will get up in the rpms but you can feel it coming and going like I am hitting the stop button real fast. So do I have a few problems going on here or is this all related to one thing? Thanks in advance!

For the 3500 rpm and bogging, I would check the internal carb filters. If you still have the grey Tempo fuel lines, those things are known to break down and plug up the system. I think it may be related to ethanol in the fuel these days. Only fix is to replace the lines with standard automotive NAPA fuel lines. about 20 ft of 1/4 lines is needed.

The other issue does sound electrical. check all the connections.

other possibility could be the voltage regulator. I have seen other posts where a problem with the regulator caused similar running, bogging and plug fowling problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoodude View Post
    For the 3500 rpm and bogging, I would check the internal carb filters. If you still have the grey Tempo fuel lines, those things are known to break down and plug up the system. I think it may be related to ethanol in the fuel these days. Only fix is to replace the lines with standard automotive NAPA fuel lines. about 20 ft of 1/4 lines is needed.

The other issue does sound electrical. check all the connections.

other possibility could be the voltage regulator. I have seen other posts where a problem with the regulator caused similar running, bogging and plug fowling problems.
    Yeah, I read that earlier about replacing the grey lines..I guess I should do that. I will check the carb filters as well. I have went through and checked all the connections and everything looks tight and not corroded. Is there a way to check the voltage regulator?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Pull the front cover and check your pickup. If the original one, the ears were weak and would crack from the hull slamming/casing waves. This would cause intermittent engine bogging, the symptoms you describe.

Look closely on the sides where the socket head screws are.

Also, swab a small amount of dielectric grease inside your spark plug boots. This prevents the spark from grounding to the engine if the boots get doused from saltwater.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Pull the front cover and check your pickup. If the original one, the ears were weak and would crack from the hull slamming/casing waves. This would cause intermittent engine bogging, the symptoms you describe.

Look closely on the sides where the socket head screws are.

Also, swab a small amount of dielectric grease inside your spark plug boots. This prevents the spark from grounding to the engine if the boots get doused from saltwater.
    Sorry, I am kind of new to skis here, but your talking about the fuel pick-up? and where is this located at? On the tank?

Also, I did the spark plug thing already, and even zip-tied the boots on, but the ski is a freash water ski..always has been. Thanks for the advice though. I will try finding the pick-up you described.

No problem on knowing. I'm talking about the inductive pickup inside the front cover of the engine. When the cover is off, it is attached to to the cover itself. The stator is too, and is the coil thing in the middle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    No problem on knowing. I'm talking about the inductive pickup inside the front cover of the engine. When the cover is off, it is attached to to the cover itself. The stator is too, and is the coil thing in the middle.
    haha, ok now I really feel like an idiot because have no idea where you are on my engine, but I will have to get out to the garage and I am sure I will find it.

Are you talking about the black box that has the spark plug wires going into it? Cause that is where I thought the coil was? If so yeah that box the tabs are broke but I screwed the top box back down and it seems tight. I also made sure as I put screws in it that i didnt go into to far as to not hit any wires or other components.

Quote Originally Posted by BobOnThis View Post
    haha, ok now I really feel like an idiot because have no idea where you are on my engine, but I will have to get out to the garage and I am sure I will find it.

Are you talking about the black box that has the spark plug wires going into it? Cause that is where I thought the coil was? If so yeah that box the tabs are broke but I screwed the top box back down and it seems tight. I also made sure as I put screws in it that i didnt go into to far as to not hit any wires or other components.

No, that is the ignition coil, in the black box. The engine is the white thing the spark plugs screw into... The front cover of the engine is well, the front cover, the side that faces the gas tank would be the front of the engine. Unplug the plug on this cover, remove the front engine mount bolt, chock the engine underneath with a small 2x4, and remove all the 10mm bolts to remove the front cover.

The stator coil is the coil that produces your charging voltage for your battery.

The inductive pickup produces a pulse signal when the magnets on the magneto pass by it that goes through the MPEM, then CDI, then shoots 12 volts to the ignition coil in the black box to produce a spark at your spark plugs.

Maybe a manual would be advised to familiarize yourself with the components?
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 06-04-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Stop Obama Express
    I took apart my black electical box and replaced every single connector and wire inside the box that I I could. I cleaned the contact points with emory cloth and used electrical grease on EVERYTHING in the black box... cant use too much. I also replaced the female connectors in the sealed fuse holders (they were really corroded). Seemed like the ski starts faster and runs better after i overhauled the box. I was lucky to have every part I needed in my Volvo dealership.

Check every single electrical connector included the fuse holders.

I just had a similar problem with my XP...the starter would just quit working like the battery had died or something. I found that the bottom ear on the starter had been broken off and it allowed water into the starter and into the front of the engine where the stator is. this basically killed the starter. once the starter dried out it worked again.

Now I'm wondering if I should pull the front cover and check for water damage in there...Opinions please?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information