Bone Stock 96' GTS

Angry 96 GTS..fuel problem?

Hey guys, loaded up the ski this past weekend to go ride for the weekend, and about an hour into riding the ski started to bog @ WOT and I knew what had to be done( because like a dumba** and did not take anyone's advice and change the stock fuel lines) got back to the campsite, tore down carbs, cleaned them and headed back to the water. The ski ran excellent for about 20 minutes and then started to completely shut off @ WOT. After a few laps the problem continued so I loaded up and went in a pissy mood. The ski will idle perfect and accelerate up to WOT but will only run @ WOT for about 5 seconds and then shbut off and I have to choke it o get it to start. DID I LOSE PRIME IN THE FUEL SYSTEM, MAYBE THE CARBS WERE NOT PUT BACK TOGETHER RIGHT, I DUNNO? any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Sounds like you siezed a piston from running it lean.

Pull the head and look for vertical scratches and aluminum bonded to the sleeve of your cylinder. It will look like a gray smear on the sides.

For future reference...the next time it shuts off at wot immediately pull the spark plugs and inspect them. If one is gray then you seized a piston.

Once you seize it, it will continue to restart and shut off at wot, until you fuse the rings enough to the piston that it will no longer break loose and allow compression. With no compression, it won't crank.

Bone Stock 96' GTS
    Pulled the head and the pistons look normal, nothing like you described and so do the plugs.Any other suggestions? Thanks for the reply.

Bone Stock 96' GTS
    Will check compression tomorrow.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by firechief View Post
    Hey guys, loaded up the ski this past weekend to go ride for the weekend, and about an hour into riding the ski started to bog @ WOT and I knew what had to be done( because like a dumba** and did not take anyone's advice and change the stock fuel lines) got back to the campsite, tore down carbs, cleaned them and headed back to the water. The ski ran excellent for about 20 minutes and then started to completely shut off @ WOT. After a few laps the problem continued so I loaded up and went in a pissy mood. The ski will idle perfect and accelerate up to WOT but will only run @ WOT for about 5 seconds and then shbut off and I have to choke it o get it to start. DID I LOSE PRIME IN THE FUEL SYSTEM, MAYBE THE CARBS WERE NOT PUT BACK TOGETHER RIGHT, I DUNNO? any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    I do not see anywhere that you changed the fuel lines... Did you ???

Bone Stock 96' GTS
    Tomorrow I am definitely changing the fuel lines.

Thread Information