Oil in coolant...Need some input

Ok so I recently had the engine pulled to try to locate an oil leak that i have been dealing with for a while now. I was losing about a half a quart or so everytime I rode last year and it all ended up in the hull.

Didnt find any leak on the engine itself when I had it out, so i cleaned the hull spotless and put engine back in. Went out about a week ago for the the first time this year for about a 20 mile trip. Ski ran great, hitting about 8100 rpms, oil level was fine. Coolant level good.

Went out this past Sunday on a 70 mile trip, experienced oil warning during some rough water riding. Checked oil and was a little low so i filled back to normal level. Also experienced some surging in RPMS at idle from 1800 to 2200. Not real bad but definitely noticeable. And at around 5100 rpms notice a little surge also at one point, but not the whole time.

Never experienced over heating during the whole trip. When I got back from the ride i checked oil level was low and saw some oil in the hull again. Checked the coolant and it was filled with milky oil and coolant mix.
    Note: Oil in engine was not milky. Looked ok.

Where should I check first? Should I pull the engine again?

Thanks!!

+1
    Sound's like a head gasket, but usually the coolant bottle is empty and you get a overheat alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by skipSC View Post
    Sound's like a head gasket, but usually the coolant bottle is empty and you get a overheat alarm.
    See I was thinking the same but this bottle was filled up to the cap and I was running good rpms too, but never got a overheat alarm at all. Taking into consideration, It was a long trip.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Oil cooler issues possibly????

If your compression checks good, sounds like it could be your waterpump shaft seal letting oil into the cooling system. That does not explain the surging though.

+1
    Seems like a leak down test would eliminate or comfirm a head gasket issue and is relatively easy to do.

OBJ

ride it like u stole it!!!! JRridermd's Avatar
    brian, how much oil did you lose on your trip? i am wondering if you can clean your hull again and put overflow tube into a empty gallon jug or 2 liter bottle to determine if its just coming out of bottle or if its leaking from engine somewhere, just a thought....

Not a full quart. It read on the very tip of the dipstick.

Did you ever figure out exactly what the problem was. I have just had the same issue with my RTX 255 with 54 hrs

does the oil in the hull look milky like the oil in the coolant? if not, may be 2 different issues with the hull oil being pto?

Thread Information