Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info Needed On Polaris Genesis 1200 Carb

hey fellows.i am new to this site as of today and heard it was the best forum site and have a few questions.i recently picked up a 1999 polaris genesis 1200(1165cc carb model)waverunner with a blown out bottom case(beyond repair).i am not a mechanic but know a few things and pulled the motor out and everything off except the flywheel(just ordered a flywheel puller from sbt)and was thinking of getting a rebuilt shortblock from sbt and finding the crank cases and sending back my core within there 14 day period).is sbt the best for getting a remanufactured motor.any info on the genesis like top speed,quick or slow acceleration.handling,etc. easy mods i can do after i get it running and any tips on when i get the shortblock on getting back together easily and the right way.do i have to have a torque wrench.any info is appreciated.

+1
    Hi...welcome to the forum!

You won't find to many people here that will recommend getting an SBT engine. Some have had good luck with them but the majority have not. Personally I would never let a SBT engine get near the inside of my watercraft. As for places that you could rely on I would say check into Randy at Watcon, Sharps Marine or Jay at Atlantic Powersports. As for reassembly, I would recommend getting a torque wrench...I got a nice one from Sears at a reasonable price...but I'm sure there are many places you can get one. There are many mods you can do once you get it back together...you would need to give more specifics of what you are looking to get out of your machine...ie: better handling, faster top end, better low end, faster acceleration...etc...etc.
    Last edited by 32DegH2O; 06-03-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Do a search for SBT within the Polaris sections of Green Hulk. Opinions vary, but many feel that SBT is not the best option for engine rebuilds.

If you have not done so yet, download the 2002 Service Manual. There are some things that are different on the 1999 Genesis, but much will be the same.

The same block was used on almost all Polaris 1200 (1165cc) engines. You can check part number cross referencing and model usage here. Look up your model, find the part listing, then scroll right and click Usage to find out what other models and years used the same parts.

If you are comfortable with a wrench, and willing to read and learn, the folks on here would be happy to help you get your Genesis back on the water. Clear, detailed photos are helpful, as we often notice things that are not quite right, and suggest how to make things better.

Since this unit is new to you, you might want to call a local Polaris dealer, update the Polaris system with your ownership info, and have them check for outstanding Service Bulletins or recalls that have not yet been performed on your unit.

There are a number of source around here for used parts, and new stuff. I am sure a 1200 engine block can be sourced.

The Genesis is the largest PWC Polaris made, so it will be a little slower that the other models with the same engine. There are a number of things that can be done to your carb'ed model.

Depending on how much you want to open your wallet, you can boost that engine a fair bit.

BTW, waverunner is a Yamaha trademark

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by A1999polaris1200ccgenesis View Post
    hey fellows.i am new to this site as of today and heard it was the best forum site and have a few questions.i recently picked up a 1999 polaris genesis 1200(1165cc carb model)waverunner with a blown out bottom case(beyond repair).i am not a mechanic but know a few things and pulled the motor out and everything off except the flywheel(just ordered a flywheel puller from sbt)and was thinking of getting a rebuilt shortblock from sbt and finding the crank cases cases can be a little tough to find,the 900,1050,1200 cases are all the same I think.Is you crank junk too? you might be better to find a complete used motor.and sending back my core within there 14 day period).is sbt the best for getting a remanufactured motor.A lot of guys will not use SBT,as they are a production line rebuilder. any info on the genesis like top speed,quick or slow acceleration.handling,etc. easy mods i can do after i get it running and any tips on when i get the shortblock on getting back together easily and the right way.do i have to have a torque wrench.Yes,any info is appreciated.
    You found the right place to learn.

1999 polaris 1200cc questions

i have been away for a little while,thanks to all who posted answers to my questions,i appreciate your time.i did some research and sbt seemed to be the most reasonable and most professional palce i talked to and the polaris tech i talked to was super helpful.sbt shortblocks come with resleeved cylinders and other places who rebuild your shortblock charge extra to resleeve your cylinders if needed.what exactly is wrong with sbt shortblocks,they offer a 1-year warranty and everything is obviously rebuilt professionally.also my lower case is seperated in 2 spots beyond repair and my top looks like it has a bad spot from the connecting rod bearing completely letting loose so i was told i need matching top and bottom good used cases for a core.i am debating on whether to part it out although i like the size of it and that it can pull 2 tubes/skiers legally and it should handle big waves no problem so i think i am going to get it running again.any one know what a good price for used crankcases should be.i was told these genesis models do 55mph even over waves.is the fuel injected version slower or faster?

+1
    1200, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

There are a lotof very valid reason most of the Polaris crew don't like nor trust SBT.
    They bashed a fellow Polaris brother because he asked some legit questions. They then took old members ID's and used them to bash on the Polaris crew as well. They banned anybody who disagreed with what they were doing etc.
    The ass wipe who pulled this stunt was the Admin at PWCTurday or Tech support for SBT (same person).
    This is also the same person who stated an engine is NOT overheating until the paint is literally peeling off the cylinder.
    I could go into the poor workmanship and the lousy product we've received from SBT but that would take me days.
    Spend the money and get the job done correctly or better yet IF you feel comfortable, do the job yourself and learn about your ride. There's nothing better than firing off the machine for the first time knowing YOU did it.
    Maybe Look or post an ADD looking for a good used engine, there seem to be plenty around but you need to be patient. Check with Jay at Atlantic, Randy at Watcon, they have engines, engine parts etc.
    Let us know what you decide.

...they offer a 1-year warranty and everything is obviously rebuilt professionally
    There are only a few good things about SBT..they are fairly cheap, and they do offer a no fault 1yr warranty...thats where it ends. If those two things entice you, by all means, do business with them. You may get lucky and get a motor that lasts for a few years, but then again, you may not. Use the term "professionally rebuilt" loosly. When you get the engine back and it is "professionally rebuilt", why does it have lower compression than one with 200hrs on it? Because it reduces the power output, which in turn reduces warranty claims. I've seen countless engines with bad seals, bad bearings, low performance...sure they'll "rebuild" it again, but what about the labor and shipping charges for swapping the engine? Thats up to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy
    I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, but all I'd be selling you is a guaranteed piece of sh!t

polaris 1200 cc genesis

thanks for the replies from everyone.i think i need watcom and or atlantics phone # to see about a rebuild as i do not want a used engine.i am in the detroit michigan area and know what shipping an engine could cost due to the weight of a 1200 polaris,.sbt wanted $250.00 insured and pro packed both ways from detroit,michigan to clearwater.florida.from what i have heard i am not going with sbt as i would like to keep this machine and get more than a couple years out of it if they do **** work like you say.the machine has 81 hours on it but like i said if i did i bought it blown up so dont know much about it but all parts/bolts,nuts are all there and i checked pretty thoroughly from what i could tell but i did notice the reverse gate missing on the back end si i figured the reverse maybe went out,so the owner had it stuck in reverse so had to pull the reverse linkage off but thats just my guess.i would like to go with premix and put the block off kit on my new engine when i get this going,please send me phone numbers for those 2-places.thanks.ill check back tomorrow.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...i think i need watcom and or atlantics phone #
    ...would like to go with premix and put the block off kit on my new engine when i get this going,
    please send me phone numbers for those 2-places.thanks.ill check back tomorrow.
    This info is not hard to find with a search;
    www.watcon.com
    www.atlanticpowersports.com

Pre-mix on a Genesis 1200 - why?
    The Polaris oil system is quite reliable, and simplifies fuelling (just add gasoline).

The oil injection system also uses much less oil than pre-mix will, with no apparent improvement in engine longevity. You can use good quality oil, and it will cost no more than using lots of cheaper oil in pre-mix.

1999 polaris genesis 1200cc carb model

hi,thanks for the replies.but at looking at watcom and atlantics website the price for a rebuild is ridicilous!!!!!absolutely outrageous!! sbt is within a resonable budget range to afford a rebuild to get my ski on the lake.i am going with sbt and hope the best as i cant afford to spend more than what the ski is worth.if i went with atlantic i might as well give the ski away for free right now before i lose my ass on a rebuild.i know what they charge for a rebuild and i know what the ski is worth and after the rebuild,the shipping costs back and forth,and all the crap and time it just doesnt add up.i would be in the hole!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information