Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Intercoolers - Rotax Racing v. Turbo Tech

I read the nice write up:

"I just did testing on Malvin of Turbo Tech’s intercooler setup. This intercooler is a very quality piece. The blow off valve he uses is all metal and also of very high quality. The thing i like best about this intercooler setup is it’s basically plug and play. It was a snap to install! This setup performed great and was in line with that of my Rotax Racing unit. I really was hoping it would outperform my unit, but they were neck and neck. Boost using the Turbo Tech intercooler was just a hair more than that of the Rotax Racing intercooler. The Turbo Tech unit has 2 1/2″ inlet and outlet with bigger tubing so I guess that is why my gauge registered the slight increase in boost. If you are interested in getting a “Plug and Play” intercooler for your ski don’t hesitate to contact Malvin at..."

And that's great info, thanks. Can we talk pricing, availability, warranty, support, things like that? Ease of installation. Parts that have to be (or don't have to be) used in conjunction.

Like are there less parts you must remove for the Turbo Tech install? Does the added boost from Turbo Tech add acceleration? Is a BOV required on both? Does the Turbo Tech need a ECU? Can it be used with the RR ECU.

I talked with Mark Underwood yesterday (seems like a real nice guy) and he gave me a lot of good info on the RR stuff, but I haven't received email back from Turbo tech yet, so I thought I would through this stuff out here to see if anyone knew the answers. Thanks.

+1
    I see the similar set up on the Riva site and wonder if the Turbo Tech has all the necessary and similar brackets for install? I also read that the Turbo Tech might be a little cheaper in price...doo tell.

+1
    I think the Turbo Tech and Rotax Racing intercooler are priced about the same. Look forward to shelling out $1100

The Rotax Racing intercooler has a mounting bracket that makes the install a little tougher, but it makes for a more bulletproof install.

The Turbo Tech intercooler doesnt come with a mounting bracket. If you were going to do any wave jumping, etc i'd have a mounting bracket fabricated.

No the added boost from the Turbo Tech does not add any more acceleration.

Either intercooler can be used with or without the Rotax Racing ECU.

As far as warranty, these are race items and therefore not covered by any warranty. They are both very high quality pieces so i don't forsee you having any trouble with either.

Yes, Mark Underwood is a very nice guy and very knowlegeable. He's been a great help to me.

+1
    So it's between Riva's and RR's. The RR is bulletproof and obviously a proven item. If both can be run with an ECU then I think Mark is my man.

+1
    i would say that Riva's and Turbo Tech's are about the same. The look the same, same dimensions. They are both very good intercoolers.

+1
    I am ready to buy an intercooler, but am a little frustrated. The Riva setup looks good, has a BOV and and mounting bracket, but its not available yet, and you need to relocate the exhaust. The Turbo-Tech unit looks very good, but I would prefer that it would have a bracket for secure mounting. The RR unit looks good, has a bracket, but does not have a BOV.

So, not sure what to do ... anybody with input on this? Plus, I have heard that there are availability issues with the RR unit lately?

+1
    Your problems are solved. PPG now has a plumbing kit that incorporates a BOV.

+1
    Great! Does Glen have them in stock? I have never worked with them and need to call ...

+1
    I'm not sure what he has in stock. He emailed me a pic over the weekend.

Give him a call tomorrow when he's open.

+1
    I just read my reply to this thread and I meant to say that I would prefer an intercooler that does NOT require the use of an ECU. Not saying that I would never get one, but to shell out more than 2 large for both is just not a good beginning to my summer.

I thought Riva's would be available in late May...has that been pushed back?

And Jerry - is that BOV and plumbing that GP is selling, isn't that the Riva hardware? I wonder if you were to buy that BOV and later get the intercooler and have the INCLUDED BOV subtracted out of the price?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information