MSX 110 smoking problem

My friend has a MSX 110 and at the end of last summer we were out riding and his ski started smoking real bad. It kept the mosquitos away for sure, so we loaded it up on the trailer and took it home that evening. At the same time I was fighting a seized wastegate problem. So we yanked both motors as a winter project, I bought a replacement turbo/mani. We saw what looked like oil leaking from the turbo seal exhaust side of his turbo. So we separated my old turbo from exhaust housing/manifold since the wastegate was seized up and swapped his out. Just a few days ago we put his motor back in and yesterday we started it up and once again we are surrounded by smoke. We cleaned the oil that was coating the walls of manifold and the exhaust before we put the motor back in. So we sat there scratching our heads, wondering what the hell to do next. We pulled the rubber coupler off between the tank and exhaust tube and there is oil there again but it looked old and gunky, it wasnt new oil that we had just put in. We pulled the plugs and smoke was coming out of the front spark plug hole. What should we check next? Is it worth doing a compression test? Or should we pull the motor out and tear down the engine? We had alot of practice on taking the engine out so that is no big deal. LOL!!

Forgot to mention that he took out his motor for a seized wastegate problem also, but somehow he got it all lubed up while it was out and it moves just as freely as my new one. Thanks Carlos

Problem ended up being another bad turbo. Just in case someone read this and has a similar problem. There was no oil in the intake pipe. So I dont know if I would say "Rule out the turbo if you dont see oil in the intake pipes". I've read some threads that said if you have oil in the intake pipe then you have a bad turbo. The smoke was caused by oil being blown into the exhaust. We put on a new turbo and manifold. Started it up and smoke was all gone. Thanks Carlos

Do you ride in salt water most of the time???

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    Do you ride in salt water most of the time???
    That ski there saw saltwater all its life.

it can also get oil in the intake track due to the unit being over filled with engine oil and that too will fill the turbo cavity and the intake track looking like it has a leaking turbo. Fact is ALL turbos leak oil. It is just not supose to be in large droplet form.

Thread Information