+1

2005 RXP Cracked Gel-Coat

Third trip out with my "new" RXP, less than one year old, not even 20 hours on it yet !! The gel-coat on the rear RHS top deck is cracked, several hairline cracks going in several directions, the longest maybe 4 inches long !!!!

Is this something to be concerned with? I believe it is, no chipping of the gel-coat, just cracks.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing off it goes to the dealer for the rest of the summer, bummer.

I will try to post pics.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    spider cracks in the gelcote? unfortunately... NORMAL. how bout i had a 10+ foot ski COVERED in spider cracks everywhere. I've been without my ski having the entire gelcote sanded and stripped from my ski and resprayed for over a month, unfortunately out of my pocket. ok, so maybe i lied.... i'm doing performance work to the hull, but while that got done, my spider cracks got addressed but i'm sure they'll come back.

SEADOO warranty explicitly states that hairline stress cracks are normal and not warrantee-able. if ur dealer will fix it, WOW, then go for it, but do not expect anything. MANY of us have this and it's normal... it's gelcote. alot of boats do it also, all comes down to the strength of the hull and how flexible it is and the fiberglass.

agree..they are normal. Have had them on every ski I have owned. Waxing will hide them somewhat but unfortunately they are normal and not addressable through warranty repair. If you jump waves you will have them a lot more than someone whom constantly rides in calm conditions.

+1
    I"m thinking these newer boats fiberglass aren't as nice as the older ones. I have 2 94 xps in addition to my rxp. They have been ridden so hard and have seen a TON of wave jumping. Neither one of them has any stress cracks.. Wonder why the new skis have such a problem??

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    bc they are longer... longer is weaker. longer flexes more. they also now have 200+lb motors getting slammed around inside them and 16 gallon gas tanks... whereas the rider took the beating with the older skis in the rough, now the hull is taking all the beating for you.

and i'm sure quality control might be part of it, haha

+1
    ya, ride is better, but man its dissapointing.... I hope mine holds up well.

+1
    This is discouraging news to hear, normal. I'm not jumping waves, I have not ridden in water thats been really rough. You can feel the cracks with your finger nail.

I had a '97 HX that was ridden a lot harder & in rougher water that only just started to get smaller lesser cracks around the tie down strap hook. I attributed those to trailering & strapping down the ski.

Thread Information